Anyone have a recipe for Zuccini bread ?

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chixrule said:
Just read through my Cooking Light magazine last night from last month and they had a recipe for a zucchini /pineapple quick bread. Looked yummy. I don't have th recipe with me, but you can find it on their website, which is connected to allrecipes.com.
I made up a recipe this past winter.

I took a basic batter, something you might use for banana bread, and went nutty.

I put a small banana in a food processor with 2 T. oil, and some unsweetened applesauce...about 1/2 a jar.

Meanwhile I shredded some carrots, as you would for carrot cake, and chopped some dates which I rolled in sugar. (You could roll them in flour, instead.)

I used the banana mixture to make a batter from the dry powders. (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. I also added freshly ground cardamom seed, but you could add what you like, such as cinnamon.)

When I tasted it, and it was sweet enough, I added beaten eggs.

Then I added a small can of crushed pineapple, and stirred in the shredded carrots. (If it looks to thick, just add a little water, but be careful.)

Then I stirred in the dates gently.

You could also add nutmeats, just be sure to dust with flour and stir in gently.

Then I baked it until done.

It was low fat, as there were only 2 T. of fat in the whole loaf, which were from the oil, the applesauce taking it's place, mostly. Of course, it was unbelieveable with butter on it when it was still a bit warm....so maybe not so low fat! ;)

It was high fiber, with lots of vitamins and minerals.

Mine was made with gluten-free flour, so I added extra eggs. I'm not sure how many it would need with regular flour, and all that in it.

At the time I said that, come summer, one could replace the carrots with zuchinni, or use a little of both. I got such a kick out of having created a carrot-banana-pineapple-date loaf....imagine if you could add zuchinni to that? :D

Anyway, just a thought! :)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I make yotetrapper's recipe with butter instead of oil, and add 1/4 c. orange juice, a bunch of raisins, a bunch of pecans or walnuts, a bunch of apple or pumpkin pie spice (we're talking, a tablespoon of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg, and so on), freshly grated ginger. Then to go on top of it, I make a compound butter with orange zest and more spices and a teeny-tiny bit of fresh-ground black pepper. Don't ask me to quantify "a bunch" precisely, it's whatever I happen to have in the pantry, until the batter looks about right.

It's awesome. Seriously awesome. If you put it in muffin cups and keep an eye on the oven so they don't over-bake, you can frost them with cream cheese that's been whipped with a few tbsp. powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon and orange zest, plus more spices.

When over-run by carrots, substitute grated carrot. Or cooked pumpkin/winter squash. Or apples. Or dates, if they are on sale. I do get tired of it after the fourth loaf, though. *burp*

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This one makes 2 loaves and freezes very well. I think the "secret" ingredient is using the freshest eggs you can find........make a friend who has chickens. I use my ribbed zucchini which is firmer than other varieties. I am enjoying receipes where I can add as many ingredients that I can grow. This one, zucchini, myers lemon and eggs.

Anne's Zucchini Bread (2 loaves)

3 1/4 C flour
1 1/2 t salt
1 t ground nutmeg
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
3 c sugar
1 c vegetable oil
4 eggs beaten
1/3 c cold water
2 c grated zucchini
1 t lemon juice plus 2 t zest
1 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven 350.
In a large bowl combine the first 7 ingredients (dry ones), In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients...oil, eggs,water, zucchini, lemon juice and zest. Mix wet ingregients into dry and fold in nuts. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, prayed with Pam for about 45 minutes. I mean sprayed, but actually a little prayer is always good too......enjoy.

Anne

Latest posts