Anyone have Guinea Fowl?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Here's another thing to consider: in my brief reading about guineas it was mentioned that they may stand in front of a hive and eat bees.

Somebody who has them would know more about that. Murano?
Really? Well, I didn't read that!!! I don't want guineas. :p

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Here's another thing to consider: in my brief reading about guineas it was mentioned that they may stand in front of a hive and eat bees.

Guineas will eat bees. Your best bet is to fence the hives so the guineas cant stand right outside and eat them as the go in and out. Or put the hive high enough up that the guineas can't reach them (make sure there's no perching area) Of course once the bees get further from the hives they spread out more so while a guinea will eat a few bees, it's highly unlikely that they will do much damage unless they can get to the hive.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our neighbors have guineys, and they come for a little visit each day, they call us, and we throw out treats(bread scraps etc)\
Since we are no longer able to really take care of things like that, we just enjoy theirs.
They are great bug eaters, and the only thing I ever see them chase is the cats when they get too close to the little ones.
I enjoy them as neighbors, and we dont mind their noise.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a big problem with ticks and snakes in the yard. Guinea Fowl seemed to be my hero, till I read about the noise they make ( close neighbors) settled on hens. Haven't had a tick on me since.

Tony O

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:

They will eat bees at the hive. If the hive is raised up off the ground, maybe 4 or 5 feet they can't get to them. Or it can be enclosed by about 10' from the hive with chicken wire or netting, (or both) they will mostly be safe. I have over 3 dozen guineas and still have lots of wild honey bees around. I even had a hollow bee tree where the bee hole was above eye level. Never a problem with my guineas bothering them.
Now raccons are another story. They love the honey.

I used to have a BIG problem with yellow jackets. Especially around and under my fruit trees. My kids couldn't go anywhere near them without getting stung. Then I got guineas. Now there isn't a yellow jacket within a mile of here.

Also, I live right in the middle of deer tick country. I can go lay down in my grass and not get a tick on me. My neighbors can't even walk out their door without getting tick bit.

About the ants, I'm not sure on that, but a friend in south Texas had fire ants bad and got guineas. They would go disturb the ant nest and eat them as they came out to attack. It took 2 years, but don't see any more fire ants around his place. Oh yeah, they also chased off his rattle snake population.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, that is great about the ants and other buggies, but not so great about the beehive. I don't really want to enclose my hive so I think I'll forgo the guineas for the time being. I really don't think my next door neighbor would be crazy about them, but I know the rest of the neighbors wouldn't mind.

Latest posts