Anyone have Luck growing Paw Paw

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even though they are native to northeast where I live, Paw Paw fruit is a mystery to me. Don't think I have ever eaten one, wouldn't know the tree even if growing on my property. Having decided to order a pomegranate, I though since placing a order why not get something else new. Are they hard to get established, Brunt ridge only sells potted because they claim best for transplant succubus, which makes me wonder how hard are they to grow.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even though they are native to northeast where I live, Paw Paw fruit is a mystery to me. Don't think I have ever eaten one, wouldn't know the tree even if growing on my property. Having decided to order a pomegranate, I though since placing a order why not get something else new. Are they hard to get established, Brunt ridge only sells potted because they claim best for transplant succubus, which makes me wonder how hard are they to grow.
Will the pomegranate grow outside? NYB you seem to be a sucker for they exotic, much like someone I know. (me.) Do not ever plant KIWI. Yes they will grow, make delicious fruit on occasion, and take over your property.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
They claim up to zone 6, but because it new variety will not guarantee, they are asking people who try them to give feed back. My plan is container then over winter in solar shed even , though I am in zone 6. I have some figs zone 7 I do this with. I looking at for $20 why not try.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat I planted several Kiwi vines, I was going for privacy around hot tub. Well, well pump and plumping all only a few feet away. Need to move or kill vines this spring. Live and learn !!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They claim up to zone 6, but because it new variety will not guarantee, they are asking people who try them to give feed back. My plan is container then over winter in solar shed even , though I am in zone 6. I have some figs zone 7 I do this with. I looking at for $20 why not try.
I would not put it in the ground just keep over wintering it indoors.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have wild paw paws, they are easy to recognize by their large, tropical-looking leaves which turn yellow in the fall and really stand out from the rest.

I helped my FIL plant paw paws on his property about 10 years ago. Those we planted in a sunny, open area did not survive, but the three we planted in the shade of the canopy of larger trees have thrived and finally started producing the past two years (takes about 8 years for them to bare). They also like to be somewhat near a water source like a stream or creek, etc., but not right on it. You'll need to cage them while they're small too, so the deer don't eat them. Other than that, they are not hard to grow. It's definitely a fruit you should try at least once in your lifetime. Very unusual. Creamy smooth and rich flesh has a unique flavor, kind of a cross between banana, mango and vanilla pudding. I like to make "banana" bread with them or eat plain.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is rare to find them for sale. They do not keep long. Some places have paw paw festivals in the fall, in early to mid-September. We have one not far from here. You could buy some at one of those. I could try mailing you some green ones next fall. Set them out and let them ripen (looks like a banana past its prime) before eating. They are bitter if not ripe. The best ones are when they turn nearly black and fall off the tree. Some folks say to wait until after frost hits them, but the deer and other wild critters will have eaten them long before then. I go pick them around Sept. 15th here and we don't get frost until end of October.

Latest posts