Anyone have Luck growing Paw Paw

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They can be tricky to get established (and don't transplant well) but then seem to do well. I have never seen them in the wild here in SE PA but they are supposed to grow in the area. I have seen them occasionally in local farmers' markets. Note you need two different individuals for good pollination. I picked my first pawpaws from my yard this year and they were small but quite tasty!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 can you save seeds for some of us TEG'ers?

Sure, they are very easy for me to come by. I might already have some in my seed stash, I'm thinking two years old. They need cold-stratified to germinate. They'd do well sown in a container and left outside for the winter.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just different varieties. Both trees will fruit but they require cross-pollination (by flies, as noted above). The old Quakers in our area used to hang a piece of rotting meat in the trees to get good fruit set.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogs love the smell of rotted meat so much they will roll in it, to smell like it. Those are some panicked phone calls I get when dogs do that.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you ordering from Burnt Ridge? I took a peek, and there's a lot of varieties to choose from.
It was interesting to read that if you come across a group of pawpaws growing together, they are likely all root clones. They need cross pollination from a different pawpaw tree. Being root suckers is also what makes them difficult to transplant from the wild. Much like aspen trees.

I'm giving it a thought, they are hardy to -25. I'm not sure if I'd like the fruit, it's been described as banana custardy. Not my favorite flavor.
But it would be nice to have some diversity in the fruit trees.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle yes I have ordered a few times from Brunt Ridge always happy. Tree have been well rooted, plus it is a family nursery, I like that. LOL I like banana custard @journey11 said kind of Mango like .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
After reading more on this site, I don't think my climate and soil is a good match.
If I'm going to have to spoon feed and diaper a fruit tree to keep it alive I think I'll go with apricots. I've got 3 fails on them now, but am willing to try again.

Latest posts