Anyone incubate eggs?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my incubator in storage for more than a year and today I got the mood to take it out of storage and dust it off :celebrate . I miss being able to hatch eggs and have chicks running around. Last weekend I so wanted to get some chicks they had at tractor supply but I couldn't travel more than 10 hours with them. So I will instead fire up the incubator this year. My bobwhite quails are laying now so I will incubate their eggs if they don't sit on them. But I really want to try hatching some Chukar Partridge, Golden Pheasants, and those Peafowl I've always wanted to raise. It should be fun to see how it goes but I need to find me some eggs first.

Anyone ever incubate any eggs?

These are pictures of past hatches!

5881_pict0006.jpg

5881_pict0002.jpg

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I incubate on a pretty regular basis. My last hatch was terrible though. I'll be starting a new batch in about a month, once I'm sure the babies will be by the right daddy (we just got rid of our mixed roo.) I'll be hatching out Easter Eggers unless I can get some Copper Marans eggs locally.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, I have hatched about 120 this year. I am finished for the year, I think. I did more last year and sold a few hundred. I have 9 hatched from broodies. My percentage was just about 60%-70% which was not as good as I would have liked but not bad. I hope to freeze about 30 in a few weeks and maybe sell some hens. I usually end up giving some away to get rid of them. lol

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Building a small cabinet incubator is on the project list. I have all the stuff for the inside, I just have to decide on dimensions and finish the design. I keep hoping I'll find a small wooden box that will work. -Wendy

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We have incubated eggs for the past 3 years. The first year we learned--didn't have great success. The next two years were much better especially since we buy eggs from breeders and have them shipped.

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, we have some turkeys and turkens (NN's) cooking right now and also have some hatching right now... Also had a litter of rabbit kits today..will check on numbers tomorrow

Don

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my last time hatching was in January. i hatched out 5 chicks, one being a faverolles pullet (think she has a little bit of cochin in there), one was a silkie that i got from MomOfDrew's eggs she gave me, 2 cochin/faverolles from my own flock and 1 bantam marans cockerel who i just lost this week. :( (he was getting vicious so it wasn't much of a loss.) i broke down just before X-mas to buy an incubator and tried it out. i'd much rather let my hens have the chance to hatch and raise their chicks to get themselves over their broodiness but i still love hatching my own since they can be so sweet to me and think i'm their moma!

i have a couple of hens that are showing signs they are willing to steal eggs to hatch. but until we move i'm not going to let them hatch till after then.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always let my broody mommas do all the work...my Peaches just started last week to set on three eggs and she just stole a forth today...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Hi,

I've had my incubator in storage for more than a year and today I got the mood to take it out of storage and dust it off :celebrate . I miss being able to hatch eggs and have chicks running around. Last weekend I so wanted to get some chicks they had at tractor supply but I couldn't travel more than 10 hours with them. So I will instead fire up the incubator this year. My bobwhite quails are laying now so I will incubate their eggs if they don't sit on them. But I really want to try hatching some Chukar Partridge, Golden Pheasants, and those Peafowl I've always wanted to raise. It should be fun to see how it goes but I need to find me some eggs first.

Anyone ever incubate any eggs?

These are pictures of past hatches!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/5881_pict0006.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/5881_pict0002.jpg
We just hatched some lavender orpingtons. 13 beautiful lively chicks.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've got about 10 turkey eggs in the bator now. First are due to hatch the 18th.
So far they candle good but the proof is in the hatch!!!

THANX RICH