Anyone incubate eggs?

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I incubate a lot! LOL I hatch every week from March til September. Sold about 700 chicks last year, hope to triple that this year :fl

luvmygoose

Sprout
Reaction score
I just hatched out Pilgrim Geese on the 4th. I set 39 chicken eggs the 9th -12th and I set 6 duck eggs (Welsh Harlequin and Rouens) and 30 Guinea eggs. I sold most the geese already. I have broodys setting on a nest of goslings that are hatching as I type. :ya

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TODAY, I discovered I have two broody hens on nest. My roo has been a real handful and I need my husband to help me get eggs because he doesn't bother him but my husband has been under the weather from some surgeries. He came out today and I said something about needing him to go in with me so I can get eggs and I had two hens setting on them. I grab the empty nest and a few from the one that had way too many eggs. But then she began to protest so I left them.

I know they weren't setting yesterday because they were out when I counted. Today I kept getting only 6 speckled sussex and now I know why. They are busy. :bun

I am really excited because I have been thinking about killing my rooster because he is a real butt head the last month. Now if I get chicks... his days are number.

:celebrate

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My turkey hatch isn't going too well. The 1st was due to hatch today and pipped during the night Monday. It got an opening in the shell large enough to get it's beak through and never did anything else. I'm letting him be until Thurs AM but don't have much hope.
#2 egg is due to hatch tomorrow, wish me better luck this time!!!

THANX RICH

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had a few Pyncheon Bantam chicks hatch and still have 3 Pyncheon hens setting on clutches. Hoping to get some show winners for exhibition this Fall. (Older Pyncheon hen)
7566_nice_pyncheon_type.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
RustyDHart,

That is a beautiful bantam hen you have their :thumbsup . I think bantams are known as the flowers in the chicken world because of their pretty feathers.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DH and I incubated 3 clutches of chickens last year. I didn't want inbreeding, so we collected fertilized eggs from our non-broody RIR's and our Welsummer rooster. Our laying flock for this year are their mix. We have 2 roosters, one (maybe) Rosecomb RIR, and the other, ??? (white with tan splotches and some black tail feathers.)
The best advice I can give you is to set up your incubator and run it for one week to make sure that the temperature stays the same. I screwed up a 4th batch bc of this. Also, I really like my egg turner. Lastly, mark your eggs with a sharpie and give each egg 21-24 days to hatch. I put one egg on the shelf bc it was past 21 days. Unbeknownst to me it hatched, dropped down to the floor, messed up his/her leg, then crawled over to the brooder, an aluminum 110-gallon water tank that had a small leak, and called to the others. By the time I found the chick, it had gotten too cold to survive. **sigh**
Live and learn.
You can find ALL manuels online, if you've misplaced them. :D
One more thing--my "useless" water tank is great bc there are no drafts. I lined it with a couple of inches of dirt, and covered it with old towels that I replaced kinda like diapers for the first 2 weeks. After that they could handle not slipping on the pine shavings. We're starting a first 2012 batch this weekend. I'll take pictures for you.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds like a great set-up, Ducks! Would love to see photos. That is a beautiful chicken, Rusty!

tball

Sprout
Reaction score
I found this forum from the BYC (backyardchickens) a sister forum they are in the same group, Iraise chickens and garden so they refered me here and i joined. Love it!:thumbsup

Latest posts