Anyone starting seeds yet?

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I put my seeds in Jiffy peat pellets last Sunday and had sproutage in the broccoli & cauliflower by Thursday (within 4 days). I planted a dozen different varieties in a pack of 72 cells. As of this morning, about 1/3 of them have tiny sprouts! In the seed bed on the side by the driveway, I planted green onions, brussel sprouts (I know, I'm late getting those in, but it was hard to know when to plant because we really didn't get much of a winter), and I also planted some kale and some snow peas. There's still a ton of room in that bed, and in a few days when I'm off again, I'll be planting radishes and more onions and more greens.

I have another pack of 72 cells I'll be starting in about 10 days. I want to space them out, not start everything at once so it doesn't all come ripe at once! We're planting a LOT this year. It is going to be our biggest garden ever, but we are not just doing it for fun anymore. I mean, yes, it's still fun, TONS of fun! But we're also planting a lot and growing a lot to provide ourselves with healthier food. We've adopted a healthier lifestyle, part of which is eating better and knowing what's in our food and where it comes from. Besides, gardening keeps us young and active!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Planted radishes, lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots and onions yesterday and my wife started tomato seeds for me today, 6 Cherokee purple, and 6 Russian tomato plants. I really want the Russians to grow well because the seeds have a history and here it is. My son in laws grandfather immigrated here from Russia 80 years ago and brought some tomato seeds with him when he was 18, he grew his tomatoes and kept the seeds from his tomatoes every year. A few years ago I asked my daughter to get a few seeds while she was visiting him and she did and sent them to me so I grew them and kept seeds myself, they are true heirlooms! Anyway I have been saving seeds since. The first year I grew a plant from the seed I was amazed at how much fruit I got from each plant. I didn't have tomato cages but I did have 1/4 in steel rods and put one on each side of the plant and it produced so much that it bent the rods over. I had one tomato that weighed 1lb 9 oz, it was bigger than my hand. Last year I misplaced the seeds and couldn't find them and thought I lost them for good. Well while cleaning a cupboard this past fall I came across the seeds, thank God, hope they take... :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow that is quite a story, if they are just two years old they should be good to go. You might have say 80% germination instead of 95-100% you might get for seeds that are newer but I have grown seeds that old with very good results.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
HunkieDorie23 said:
Wow that is quite a story, if they are just two years old they should be good to go. You might have say 80% germination instead of 95-100% you might get for seeds that are newer but I have grown seeds that old with very good results.
I heard that explorers found cereal in a pyramid and sowed it and grew wheat. The ancient egyptians must have had a really good preservation system ;)

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am planting cauliflower and cabbage seeds today indoors. The violas and pansies didn't do as well as in past years. However, the seeds were old. When I checked the seed packets some went back t0 2007. :idunno Oh well, we have several that come up wild. I will buy new seeds for next year.

tropicalplanttom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
A good friend started his tomato seeds this weekend. I was just a little dismissive, based on it being pretty early, but I am now secretly a bit jealous. Think I'll be at the garden centre this coming weekend.

Latest posts