Aphids, I think

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok, tomatoes are doing good but I noticed tiny tiny white spots on the stems.
What came to my mind is aphids. Do they attack tomatoes? What is a safe way to get rid of those blood suckers. Please don't mention spraying them off with the hose. We have had rain, down pours, ect since this Monday. :rolleyes:

TIA

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could they be scars - - as in "bug bites?!" Maybe there are the same white spots on the leaves.

If scars (tiny holes. . . pits), I'd suspect flea beetles. See if there are tiny, shiny-black bugs on the plant as you approach. And, if they leap away and disappear as you get near, or wave your hand above the plant.

Aphids are usually green, sometimes red, I can't remember ever seeing a white one. They don't try to hide or get away from you - not quickly, anyway. There are white flies but I know nothing about them other than that they are a greenhouse pest but not usually outdoors, here.

You may not need to do anything about the flea beetles. Keep an eye on your plants and if they weaken - report back. Only in some locations and some years do the beetles attack in such numbers that something needs to be done to save the crop.

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure doesn't sound like aphids. They would be on the leaves not than the stems,and are very obvious as little bugs. White fly's would actually fly away if disturbed. Leaf miners would again be on the leaves, not the stems. usually you will see white spots on the leaves if they are attacking.

It may be just a reaction from all the rain you have had, and not serious at all. Are the leaves wilting, or the stems turning brownish black? Cooler wet weather will sometimes cause a blight.

I would just keep an eye on them for the next little while, and see what happens. If you really think it's a bug of sorts, you could give a light spray of Trounce.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Aphids will attack just about anything I have some on my roses what I do is just pinch/squish them with my fingers...you can try soapy water spray or safer soap spray...squishing them is faster...you could wear gloves if that grosses you out... for white flies use sticky traps you can get at walmarts or your local Tractor Supply...

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have planted sunflowers throughout my garden as they are suppose to attract aphids away from other plants. It is early to tell if it is working but I thought I would give it a try.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tomatoes can have white spots that are just part of the stem. They would turn into roots if they touch the ground or were covered in soil or mulch.

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. Tomatoes are doing good! Guess the white spots are nothing. No drooping leaves or anything. Finally have some green tomatoes forming YEAH
Homemade Salsa here I come. lol

Latest posts