Apples & Brown Rice

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stopped at the green grocer's yesterday and now have 6 types of fruit in the house!

This is much how we eat at this time of year, with all the garden veggies - I guess this is how we eat ALL year! I don't think I'd have it any other way :). With freezing temperatures possible 8 months out of the year, maybe I should migrate south.

No, we are a part of the market economy despite my experiments with flour corn, wheat and naked oats :p. I say that we sell garden produce during the summer so that we can have the money to buy apples and broccoli during the winter. There's some truth to that.

Anyway, with my 3 pieces of fruit this morning (& a half cup of Cheerios) I'm looking at about.com and thinking about fiber . . . Hhmmm? Recommendation is for me is to have 30 grams of fiber/day . . . So, what did I just eat?

Three fruits - checked the USDA National Nutrient Database - 10.7 grams . . . ! You mean I just ate ALL that fruit and barely got 1/3rd of what is recommended??!!

Weeeelll, I don't think I should have to go into some High-fiber Food Routine. Not me! I was a little disappointed in the fiber available in a slice of whole wheat bread, however. About.com (click) And, I checked the Cheerios box and realized that there was only about 1 gram of fiber in "America's Favorite Cereal . . . Bee Happy, Bee Healthy." Criminetly!! whole grain and I'd have to eat 15 cups to have the required daily fiber??!

Anyway, this post isn't about fiber . . . . I'm just curious how you all are eating up all those vegetables stashed away for this time of the year :p. I'm trying to plan for another Sunday casserole . . . . think I should use brown rice?

And, what about using some of these apples - in a casserole? Is that possible?

Steve :)

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
very interesting when you do the research about what manufacturers tout as 'healthy and high in fiber' and you find out that real fruits and veggies have more fiber in them than what is processed and cooked! :lol: guess i should get more veggies and fruits into my diet this winter and really hit the gym too!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry Steve, I'm not going to have an answer to your questions, I just wanted to cast a vote for brown rice. I love it, especially the brown basmati. Smells like popcorn while it's simmering.
For breakfast I like to warm some in a skillet (I almost always have some cooked on hand in the fridge ) add an egg or two and scramble it around then top with lots of salsa. That will keep me going on a spring cleanup day all the way past lunch!
Or put the cold rice in a pot, add some milk, heat and add cinnamon.
That would probably be good with a chopped apple tossed in too....hmmm.

Rice is good with chicken or turkey in a casserole. Don't know 'bout apples in a casserole but I'm sure there's recipes. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just found a slow cook recipe for pork chops, sweet potatoes, and apples. Trying it tomorrow.... I love brown rice. Don't even own white rice. I have added apples to lots of rice dishes. They add a lovely sweetness. I am a great "throw it in the pan" kind of cooker! Rice is often the basic ingredient in these! I say add the rice to your casserole!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found an Apple Butter & Baked Beans recipe!

I bet that's good!! I don't think I've ever baked a bean. Bean soup now and then . . .

Apple Butter - I used to do that often so it could just be another step.

Still thinking about broccoli and rice with cheese but that is a real common choice around here . . . usually with carrots.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
a couple of nights ago my dh made some pork chops and i mentioned he should use up some of the apples i picked up the previous week by adding them to the stuffing. it gave it a wonderful taste and smelled great while it was cooking in the oven! usually he'll add it to chicken salad along with adding some walnuts. not sure about adding fruits to casseroles and how well they would come out, but i would have to scan over some of my cookbooks since i know a few would have some good ones i've never thought about trying before.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always eat apples w/ pork chops, usually applesauce.

As for the rice I would probably think towards the sweetened rice pudding type w/ apples and cinnimon.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up eating rice as a breakfast cereal (white rice, of course but I really like the basmati rice.) I soak it in water first, several hours or overnight. I cook up a big pot and keep it in the fridge. Then for breakfast, I heat some up and serve with milk, cinnamon, honey and raisins. I bet some lightly cooked apples would be yummy in there too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I went the broccoli, carrot, onion and cheddar rice casserole route. It was well received! DD even asked for my recipe altho' she's eaten this before. Might have just been trying to humor ol' Dad.

I don't really have a recipe. but it isn't as tho' it should be hard to find what a better cook has written down in the way of measurements.

Oh yeah, there was my regular can of soup in there - cream of mushroom. I've learned that I need some help like that on just about everything I cook. Soup, broth in a box or a cup of beer kind of evens-things-out with my efforts in the kitchen ;).

The apple butter and baked beans is on the menu! Had DW pick up a bag of beans at the store yesterday but she went with our usual soup mix. I hope that will turn out okay - black-eyed peas & Lima beans in there :/.

Yeah, I know - in my survivalist's kitchen, I should have a plastic, 5-gallon bucket of beans. Nope . . . altho' I could break into the 2011 soybean harvest. Baked soybeans? I can't quite fathom that.

Better go with what I got and soon. (Mixed) Beans, Baked with Apple Butter!

Steve

Latest posts