Apples & Brown Rice

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can core apples, slice them kinda thin, and put PB between 2 slices and have a "sandwich." I do that as a snack sometimes for both me and the kids. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate to admit that I know nothing about basmati rice, brown or otherwise. (My spellchecker knows nothing about "basmati" either and so I don't feel too bad :/.)

I'm eating my usual peeled Honeycrisp apple this morning. Often, I make peanut butter sandwiches with chopped apples and raisins. Or, I'll put those chopped apples and raisins in the microwave for a minute and serve them with a splash of half-n-half :p.

This recipe is quite a bit above my pay scale, I think. Still, it looks like a wonderful breakfast!. It really makes use of the flavors of the season with the apple, pumpkin and cranberries:

Baked Oatmeal

DW made cinnamon rolls for the weekend. I think that is about as close as I'll come to a deluxe breakfast for today ;). A roll can go with my 2nd piece of fruit - I'm thinking a persimmon :p. Coffee's ready!!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I hate to admit that I know nothing about basmati rice, brown or otherwise. (My spellchecker knows nothing about "basmati" either and so I don't feel too bad :/.)

Steve
I've always liked brown rice, and ate it for decades before I discovered basmati rice. It's sooo good! I prefer it to all others now, and fortunately Costco sells 10# bags of organic brown basmati for way cheaper than the grocery store, so I've been hoarding it :p .
You really ought to give it a try and see what you think Steve, there may be no going back!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The beans were soaking in a big pot when I woke from a dream about avocado trees, yesterday.

Beans . . . and peas & lentils & Limas . . . about 4 or 5 types of beans with the other legumes. It might have been better with just cannellini but the recipe actually called for 3 cans of different types. I ignored the idea of cans anyway and appreciated that Iowa Cooperative Extension was able to tell me that a 15.5 oz can holds 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans.

Made the applebutter! And, tried that a way I've never used before - microwave! The recipe ingredients are almost exactly the same as my traditional recipe. Being the Nervous Nelly that I am, I hovered around the microwave trying to make sure the mix didn't boil over - just as I would have hovered around a pot - stirring. No Worries, as it turned out! Following the directions to use a bowl twice as large as the ingredients worked just fine and in about 1/2 an hour, I had my cup of applebutter made from just 2 HUGE Honeycrisp apples!

Think that was a lot of bother for only 1 cup . . ? Yeah, I couldn't do more than sample a teaspoon out of it before mixing in the ketchup and baked bean spices and MORE sweetness! My Goodness -- honey! Well, the beans were sweet! Must have had a lot of fiber, too.

I'm back to my 3 pieces of fruit this morning and thinking about a Carrot & Ground Beef casserole for tonight. DW may be dreaming about fish, however. I stay out of her way with the fish. She does real good for making something simple but with just a real tasty combination of spices/herbs, & not burning anything! Still, I've got to get thru some of these carrots! I haven't even dug into the cache out there covered with pine needles! Still working on about half a crisper drawer full in the fridge. Well, there may be a dozen left in there.

I hope Mary won't be suggesting that I don't peel them! If they don't go in a casserole with beef, maybe it will be enuf that I don't sprinkle them with brown sugar :p.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I always peel my carrots. I probably shouldn't. :/ I like the way you eat and everything that you make sounds so good and comforting. I take it you are the main cook in your home? Just to make your eating alittle healthier, may I suggest you use alittle less sugar in your diet? ;) As someone who loves pecan pie, I know this is easier said than done! :lol:

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I make a wild rice with apples, dried cranberries, bits of carrot, onion and toasted walnuts! Its AWESOME!

You should try it!! :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now wait a minute, V!

I thought "wild rice" was found in nature, untouched by those other thing!

Yes, you are using a cooking phrase - "wild rice with . . ." I just get the opportunity to mention that wild rice now grows about 30 miles from my home :)! I don't know what the harvesting amounts to. It was originally planted in the 1940's and there has been a few newspaper stories about its usefulness.

Apples, dried cranberries, carrot, onions and toasted walnuts? Oh, that does sound delicious :p!

Yes Mary, sweet things have been a craving for me since I was a kid :rolleyes:. I just cannot leave some things alone if they are around - cookies and cinnamon rolls are real high on the list. I realized that the "baked oatmeal" recipe I posted was almost exactly like the "Great Grains" breakfast cereal I had with my 3 pieces of fruit, this morning!

You know, the fruit has a lot of sugar in it! Even our cultivated vegetables are quite sweet with sugars . . . At least, I'm trying to be the "processor" in the processed food realm around here. DW has her talents but they have a lot to do with baking cookies & cinnamon rolls . . . :/ . . . Really, she can quickly whip some veggies into something for lunch. More complex recipes, she has little interest in. AND, since she eats almost NO cookies and cinnamon rolls . . .

Steve :rolleyes:

Latest posts