April 16 Taxes Due

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wait till last minute every year, I like to hold on to my money as long as possaable
This is the argument my husband and I always have. I'm the opposite. I want those returns done and sent in as soon as possible to get that monkey off my back. I tell my husband we are paying the same amount whether you hang on to that money or not!

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the argument my husband and I always have. I'm the opposite. I want those returns done and sent in as soon as possible to get that monkey off my back. I tell my husband we are paying the same amount whether you hang on to that money or not!

Mary
MY thoughts exactly. Just do it~

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you owe $5000, by holding onto your $$ an extra 2 months, you made $5-8..... How much grief, anxiety would you take for that?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is the point of writing out the check not the amount.
After yesterday's IRS audit, a "businessman" who owns 3 "businesses", and not filing his tax returns for 3 years, left the office with a tax bill of $ 128,000 + for back taxes, interest and penalties ... :caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
After yesterday's IRS audit, a "businessman" who owns 3 "businesses", and not filing his tax returns for 3 years, left the office with a tax bill of $ 128,000 + for back taxes, interest and penalties ... :caf

overachiever... :) ouch. wonder if that will put him under/bankruptcy. in cases like this i feel bad for the employees who may have to scramble to find new jobs. at least if that happens now it's a relatively good time to be looking for work.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
After we closed our business in December of 2001, I made sure that I squared everything with the IRS, made my employee tax deposits each month and all that stuff. In May of 2002, the IRS sent me two checks totaling over $24,000. I called them, I was told that I over paid because I closed my business in June of 2001. Uh.....nope, I closed in December of 2001. I was told by a cheerful voice "to just send them back." Riiiiiiiight......if they had sent me back 6 months of employee payroll taxes, there was no telling how much more it could get screwed up.

I was so mad that I tossed the checks on the dresser where they stayed until tax time the following year. The IRS paid me $1500 in interest and wanted me to pay tax on it, so I figured it was time to get that mess straightened out.

I called on a consumer TV man that did a spot on Channel 13 news every evening, Marvin Zindler. He loved that story! He put me on TV and asked why I hadn't cashed the checks. "Because I'm not stupid, that's not my money," I told him. He sent me to the Smith Building, downtown Houston to see someone who would take the checks. I took copies of my employee records to prove that the money was not mine. I had him make copies of the checks, sign and date the copy and note that I had returned the checks. A couple of months later I got a letter that it was all straightened out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a lot of people had fun the other day trying to do things last minute... i'm glad i've never e-filed. as long as i have to give someone else my information i don't want to do it. if it were just the IRS website and i could do everything through that and not a third party i would use it, but otherwise, noway...

Latest posts