Aquatic garden

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WOW @Todd Ziegler aquarium. We never had much luck with plants in ours. DH has MANY different set ups over the years. His last was an 80 gallon saltwater which he finally took down and gave surviving coral, live rock and fish away. They where very enjoyable to just sit and watch. I sometimes miss that but not the cleaning.
To successfully grow freshwater plants, you need the right lights and to inject co2 into the aquarium. Without the added co2 most of the interesting plants won't thrive, let alone grow.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
To successfully grow freshwater plants, you need the right lights and to inject co2 into the aquarium. Without the added co2 most of the interesting plants won't thrive, let alone grow.
Thanks for the information, maybe in our retirement we will set one up again.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee, I ended up dismantling my salt water tank due to the red algae problem, too. But there's nothing more fun than discovering what develops on the live rock, in a new tank. Then you get to chase the bristle worms. Ugh!

Last edited:

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@Carol Dee, I ended up dismantling my salt water tank due to the red algae problem, too. Nothing more fun than discovering what develops on the live rock, in a new tank. Then you get to chase the bristle worms. Ugh!
I sat up a 10 gallon saltwater to raise brine shrimp and I had a piece of live rock in there and eventually I started getting barnacles

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've been reading up on using co2 in the tank. i haven't done it yet but really want to give that a try.

have you ever kept Java moss in your tanks? i'm trying to figure out some alternative uses for it when it gets too big & needs a trim. i have thrown it to the koi, but they don't munch on it as quickly as duckweed. it seems to look like sphagnum peat moss when dried so i'm thinking i could use it on top of house plants to keep in moisture. i don't want to throw it in the compost heap or just anywhere outside on other plants since it fear it could become invasive.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i've been reading up on using co2 in the tank. i haven't done it yet but really want to give that a try.

have you ever kept Java moss in your tanks? i'm trying to figure out some alternative uses for it when it gets too big & needs a trim. i have thrown it to the koi, but they don't munch on it as quickly as duckweed. it seems to look like sphagnum peat moss when dried so i'm thinking i could use it on top of house plants to keep in moisture. i don't want to throw it in the compost heap or just anywhere outside on other plants since it fear it could become invasive.
I have about 8 different kinds of moss and I used to sell the extra on "theplanted tank" website or I take the extra at trim time and go to the local fish store and trade it for store credit. It's a win win situation for both of us.

Latest posts