Aquatic garden

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here a couple pictures of my planted aquarium. During the winter here in Indiana I will just set in front of my aquarium and read a book or anticipating summer. The bright lights just make me feel better.

Attachments

• 2016-05-20_094112_resized2_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    2016-05-20_094112_resized2_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 374
  • 2012-11-20 17.00.16_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    2012-11-20 17.00.16_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 2012-11-20 16.59.52_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    2012-11-20 16.59.52_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 348

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have a few fish in there, but the plants are the focus. Nice! Is the first pic of an iris outside? that's not an underwater plant, right?

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You have a few fish in there, but the plants are the focus. Nice! Is the first pic of an iris outside? that's not an underwater plant, right?
The iris got uploaded by accident. Yes the plants are the focus. The fish are small algae eaters.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i find mine calming too with the plants & looking to see where certain fish are hiding in them. i have platties with a couple female beta fish & 1 male. there's also 2 bumble bee catfish along with a bunch of rams horn snails & now a few baby trapdoor snails. i have some koi in a 55 gallon tank but i can't keep plants in with them or they will be torn apart in no time.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i find mine calming too with the plants & looking to see where certain fish are hiding in them. i have platties with a couple female beta fish & 1 male. there's also 2 bumble bee catfish along with a bunch of rams horn snails & now a few baby trapdoor snails. i have some koi in a 55 gallon tank but i can't keep plants in with them or they will be torn apart in no time.
Yeah koi definitely like to eat plants. I am getting ready to set up a 20 gallon long planted tank and I am going to have a school of 20 pygmy cory catfish. Dwarf fish are my favorites, especially dwarf catfish. I have apistiogramma fish, dwarf crayfish in my other aquariums. The dwarf crayfish are fun to watch. My freshwater micro crabs are fun to watch when the day time lights go out and my moon lights turn on.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
do you use LED lights in your tank or something else?

i switched to LED for mine & plants have been going very well for me the past couple years. i had some duckweed that tagged along a plant & now the stuff is prolific. when i get too much i just scoop it out & give it to the koi. the light filtering through is strong enough to keep the other plants thriving.

when the pond it up & running i will be putting some of the duckweed out to multiply so they can have a better supply.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
do you use LED lights in your tank or something else?

i switched to LED for mine & plants have been going very well for me the past couple years. i had some duckweed that tagged along a plant & now the stuff is prolific. when i get too much i just scoop it out & give it to the koi. the light filtering through is strong enough to keep the other plants thriving.

when the pond it up & running i will be putting some of the duckweed out to multiply so they can have a better supply.
I switched over to LED too. I have a programmable light. It's fun to watch the different behaviors of all the animals at night as the light simulates the phases of the moon.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW @Todd Ziegler aquarium. We never had much luck with plants in ours. DH has MANY different set ups over the years. His last was an 80 gallon saltwater which he finally took down and gave surviving coral, live rock and fish away. They where very enjoyable to just sit and watch. I sometimes miss that but not the cleaning.

Latest posts