Are we a GMO or what ?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have woods and a pipeline easement. We have a couple acres fenced for horses, once we clean it up it will grow grass. Open spot for garden, semi open spot for next fence building party, we'll put the sheep we're planning on buying in it. On other side of pipeline, thick woods. It will be fenced last.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
have no idea, gonna get hair sheep.
GOOD call bay ! Sheering sheep cost more than the wool is worth. Easter is almost here so the traditional Leg of lamb is on the menu . Also, BBQ ed lamb chops and riblets are so mouth watering good ! :drool I BBQ a whole lamb on an open pit from time to time too. :drool:weee :thumbsup

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think of that each an every time I walk out and see the huge cornfields all over the place. Thing is that Monsanto and their affiliates aren't interested in what the general public wants, what they're interested in is money.

I would personally be more than happy if I could grow my own corn and save uncontaminated seed from it, and I'm sure that many others would be to. In the mean time I'm working on breeding an early strain of corn for people in the same situation. I'm using super-early varieties like Yukon Chief and Tohono O'odham 60-Day, along with varieties of popcorn that have a special gene (Ga1 I think it's called) that makes them less likely to cross with other corns. It's going to take years and I'll probably have to use the work of breeders before me... but eventually.

With all of your research this is probably something you know about, but I thought it was interesting so I will plop it in here anyway ... Corn that's picky about pollen.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With all of your research this is probably something you know about, but I thought it was interesting so I will plop it in here anyway ... Corn that's picky about pollen.
Yup! Considered buying some Puramaize before. Problem is that it has some sort of patent on it. I don't know if I could get away with using it to breed something new or not, I know that I wouldn't be able to sell the seeds.

Thanks for posting that. If TEG has some sort of resources/articles center you might want to put that there.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This thread has degenerated to name calling ..

. or, the closest thing to it.

I think I will report my own post to see if TEG wants to do anything about it :\.

Steve
I tend to just ignore it ... really just means some people have nothing meaningful left to add to an interesting discussion. :\

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Jason - I like this and will take that advice for myself!

I do agree on much of what you post. However, you might not want to bring yourself down to lower levels and resort to name-calling (or the closest thing to it, like Steve mentioned). It's rather unnecessary and doesn't help to get your point across. I do agree with a lot of what you've posted - but actions like that only serve to create fissures and cracks in this community that we're all a part of (TEG), that and it may also degrade the experience that others have on this website.

@bobm and @jasonvivier - truce? Or can we try to keep this civil?

Latest posts