Are You a Baker? I Have a Question

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just baked a carrot cake from a box mix. I followed the directions and I ended up kind of embarrassingly "low rise." Than I noticed the fine print on the box,
Please note the real carrots and raisins help create a denser richer cake that will not rise to the same height...
Is there any reason that I can't mix two batches together? (ie. two boxes at once.)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
No reason I can think of. Just might take a little longer to bake with more batter in the pan(s) .

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
this is from Betty crocker book: I would re-look at the recipe, or the temp setting. The other thing was it from a box mix? Is the only thing I can think of, but box recipes usually don't call for baking powder.

Sometimes carrot cakes are so rich and heavy!! Lori

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You can definately mix two boxes together, but that is not going to make it rise any higher. It will make it thicker of course, but it will still be dense. You most likely will also have to adjust the temp to a lower temp and bake for a longer amount of time so that it is thouroughly baked on the inside without being "too baked" on the top.

If you get adventurous some day, make a "from scratch" carrot cake. Oh my goodness...you won't even believe the difference! YUM!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only absolute failures in cooking is the stuff the dogs won't eat and the chickens look at you like "What??"

I say go for it. :lol:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@baymule :lol:

I bake, but I do it all from scratch, so I have no experience with the boxed stuff :p I wish I was more help :rainbow-sun

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol:
vfem said:

I bake, but I do it all from scratch, so I have no experience with the boxed stuff :p I wish I was more help :rainbow-sun
"scratch" it out of the box!!!!! :lol:

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:

Same here, I try not to use boxed mix. I don't like to cut-corners when baking. Baking from scratch makes a difference.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
I just baked a carrot cake from a box mix. I followed the directions and I ended up kind of embarrassingly "low rise." Than I noticed the fine print on the box,
Please note the real carrots and raisins help create a denser richer cake that will not rise to the same height...
Is there any reason that I can't mix two batches together? (ie. two boxes at once.)
To get a taller cake, instead of making two boxes at once in the same pan, consider making two separate cakes and stacking them with frosting in between. Cream cheese frosting, of course!

-Wendy

Latest posts