Are you hooked on canning too?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I bet you would want that a/c down south. What's your weather been like lately?
It has been in the 90's since May, only a handful of 80's since then, but we've had plenty of rain to keep the crops healthy....:D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been no break in the heat here lately. It's been so humid here, you almost can't take a good breath when you step outside.

Us too, you know I haven't had to water my garden even once this year!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
That's awesome! :thumbsup

We've got deer season coming up before too long. If you hunt, are you going to can any venison? I love it canned best of all. :drool
Haven't hunted in years, would love to get back to it tho, tried venison from this area, didn't care for it, I'm gonna try wild hog next tho...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It does seem to make a big difference what they eat. My dad's farm yields fatter, more tender deer than some of our other hunting spots because they raid the neighbor's corn and alfalfa fields. :) We don't have wild hogs here, but I've read that they make for really good free meat.

mtnangel

Sprout
Reaction score
I am looking forward to canning...gonna have to do some research first... I was thinking of cooking my yellow and green squash with some onions and mushrooms and then canning it... and I will have lots of tomatoes to can also... might can some cooked butternut squash aslo... I started my gardening late this year and will have a september harvest!

mtnangel

Sprout
Reaction score
Sunsaver... that is so awesome that you got off the grid... my husband and I will be buying a kit from a mother earth news advertisement that will show us how to make our own solar panels... will hopefully start making some this fall!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just started waterbath canning last spring and I love it, although I'm limited to what I can. I canned whole tomatoes, salsa, pickled okra, jalapenos and pepper jelly. I do plan to buy a pressure canner next month. I want to be able to put up potatoes, purplehull peas, corn and meats etc. My poor garden is burning up right now - the high this week is supposed to be 104! I'm still getting some tomatoes, okra and peppers but they are very small.

Sunsaver, I'm in north Louisiana also. Wow! I don't know how you survive the humidity - I'm a wimp - I need my A/C!! :D

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This will be my fourth year canning and I love it. I only water bath can since my altitude is over 5,000 feet and a pint of any vegetable would be a waste since it is just my husband and I. I try a few new recipes every year. This year it will be pickled beets and saurkraut with the beets and cabbage from the garden. Both are new crops as well for us to grow. We bought used kitchen cabinets from Craig's list to put up in the basement for canned food storage. Friday I bought 15 pounds of nectarines and 24 pounds of apricots at the grocery store (on sale) and will have them canned by mid week. I can't wait for my cucumbers and tomatoes so I can start on pickles and salsa. I also make tomato sauce in the crockpot, freeze in ziploc containers, and then vaccuum pack. So far from pea harvest I have 17 vaccuum packed bags and 3 vaccuum packed bags of cauliflower/broccoli mixed in the freezer in serving sizes large enough for my husband and I. Should get one more big harvest of peas, and all the other veggies are just starting!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am WAY attached to canning, jamming and preserving! I even have been drying like crazy! I'm a nut by nature though... lol

I really need to get a photo of my haul so far for this year, and keep in mind I sell a lot of my goods so I only have about 50-60% left of what I've actually done. Its a lot of work, but very enjoyable... and even MORE enjoyable when the canning time is over and you get to enjoy your work day by day throughout the winter, when you miss your garden the most. :D

Latest posts