Argh! Careful planning ruined!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted a tray of seedlings sometime in the last few weeks. We have been having unseasonably warm weather so I had the pots in a plastic tray to help retain moisture. I put a few small holes in the bottom of the tray but I didn't want too much water draining out everyday since it was so warm. Last night we had rain. I knew it was supposed to rain somewhat but I figured the drain holes would keep the tray from getting too full. What I wasn't thinking of was that they tray was positioned just right to collect water coming off the roof :rolleyes: .
The tray was just slightly taller than the pots I used and when the drain holes couldn't keep up with how much water was coming in, the tray filled up and the pots were underwater.

I went out to check on things to discover this mishap and poured off the water. Some of the pots are still ok, but some of them lost most of their dirt and therefore their seeds. I took them all out of the tray and put them on my potting table where they can drain. I filled them back up with dirt and am hoping a fair number of them survive.

The worst part is that they got all jumbled up so now I don't know what is where. I had planted 15 different things but several different varieties of things like beans, tomatoes, peppers, and squash. I carefully diagramed where the pots were in the tray and wrote on the side of each pot what was in them. Well, the diagram is useless now since they were all moved around and the writing probably isn't there anymore as they are biodegradable pots and the ink has probably been washed away (they are too wet right now to see if the ink survived but I doubt it). I was trying so hard to be careful in my planning so I didn't lose track of things. Now it's all shot to heck. :barnie :hit

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, alot of hard work and careful planning going to waste. Hope you are able to salvage some of the stuff!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might be the moment to start another tray, PW. Sorry you had this wash-out :/.

I have so much trouble keeping things straight but the problem occurs out in the garden.

I want nice slicing cucumbers but want to try some different varieties. So, I plant 3 or 4 different varieties that have that special look with all that appeal on the pages of the seed catalog!

Then, I lose the tags in the garden and don't know one from the other :hu.

Out there, my trick is to either hit the tags with the tiller or step on them. They don't serve much purpose below ground :/.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shoot! The adventures of gardening!! Here's hoping you get lots of mystery seedlings!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am so sorry, that is just my kind of luck! I feel for you. I hope you have enough time to start again. :(

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm so sorry.

BUT we know God works all things for the good, so be looking for it! You never know what you might glean from this experience. Now that your carefully laid plans are done, maybe look at this as an adventure. Maybe bring your boys in on it and see if you can make a game out of your discoveries. Never miss a homeschooling/parenting moment to talk about this with your kids and build character. Life is full of curve balls, how we perceive them and choose to deal with them is what sets folks apart!
Blessing on your new adventure!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that's a bummer! I've badly abused tomato seedlings before and had them recover. Don't know about the rest though. Probably better start another flat just in case...

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to start more, I just don't know what to start! I think most of the beans and corn made it but I'm not entirely certain. I guess if I end up with too many, I can gift the started plants to other people...

Latest posts