Argh! Careful planning ruined!

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What's the old saying - "Man makes plans & God laughs"...? :/

I feel your pain, altho I haven't had that exact thing happen to me, I am very anal & need to know what/where everything is.

If it's any consolation, I am currently looking for red leaf lettuce seeds, to no avail. The closest I come to is something called "Gourmet Blend", which consists of different kinds of "gourmet" lettuce. Well, I can't stand the thought of planting seeds & not knowing what the heck is going to come up!! :D

I guess if it were me, I would just start them all again...;)

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Shoot, I'm with lesa on this one. Two ways to look at it, for sure......trouble or adventure. Part of the fun of gardening, to me, is that when mishaps happen, like this...it just turns into a surprise. Sorta like Christmas....only in June or July.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I garden with kids and so I actually lose a lot of seedlings. And even more times that I get mixed up cause my helper are not really helping me. I would just start more of everything. that way you would be sure to get what you need. last year I didn't get my jalapeos due to a mishap and I was lonely all summer. This year I lost my tomatoes to a frost after I got distracted and didn't cover them on a frosty night. But I just bought them from Lowes. I mean who needs heirloom tomatoes anyway!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You should be able to identify your corn and beans as they pop up. Plant some more and see what you get out of what you have.

At least you might salvage something!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
You should be able to identify your corn and beans as they pop up. Plant some more and see what you get out of what you have.

At least you might salvage something!
I am going to plant some more this week. Some of the seeds I planted before were the last of that variety so I hope some of them make it. I know I will be able to tell the different types of plants apart, it's just that I have several different kinds of beans, several different peppers, several squash, and several different tomatoes so I won't know what made it until they set fruit :/ .

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am planting another batch of seeds today (around making a chicken tractor for my meat birds that have outgrown their brooder already at two weeks old :/ ). I am replanting some of the same stuff as before and adding in some new. I was able to read what was written on a few of the pots from my first planting so all may not be lost. At least I will be able to tell for sure what some of them are. Anyway, today I will be planting:

georgia flame pepper
cayanne pepper
amish paste tomato
beefsteak tomato
pantano romanesco tomato
yard-long beans
scallop squash
dragon tongue beans
yellow straightneck squash
sugar pie pumpkin
pink banana squash
ireland creek annie beans
calypso beans
fava beans
heirloom pepper mix
buttercup squash
hidatsa shield beans

If everything I am planting now and half of what I planted before all makes it, I will be completely overrun with seedlings. Good thing I have friends who garden and might want some of the extras!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
What's the old saying - "Man makes plans & God laughs"...? :/

I feel your pain, altho I haven't had that exact thing happen to me, I am very anal & need to know what/where everything is.

If it's any consolation, I am currently looking for red leaf lettuce seeds, to no avail. The closest I come to is something called "Gourmet Blend", which consists of different kinds of "gourmet" lettuce. Well, I can't stand the thought of planting seeds & not knowing what the heck is going to come up!! :D

I guess if it were me, I would just start them all again...;)
Have you tried Johnny"s in Maine they have many varieties of luttce and greens for salads

Latest posts