Artificial Turf

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leaning again to the artificial grass again. They are willing to raise it another 1/2 inch to make the blades taller and my husband selected another one that has green and brown thatch in it that makes it look more natural.

Went to 2 nurseries that had only cactis and succulents. Not impressed with what I saw.

The landscaper did a drive by and total price for design and installation is between $5,000-$6,000. Do they think I'm crazy or what?

Red, I love that house and those windows.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
$5,000 to $6,000?????? If that is what they charge for a small yard, what would they charge for a big yard? That is just nuts.

You could always concrete it all and PAINT it green! :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, understand surprised at costs. Big city costs. For $6000 in Indiana, we could put it down for an acre..... Not really Mary but your cost of living sounds much higher there than here in sticks.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn, it's supposed to be all relevant. Not sure if it is.

Another landscaper stopped by today. All she had was 2 photos of a yard she had done that was the size of mine. It was pathetic. All it had was some yarrow and a few perennials here and there. I told her that I liked yarrow Ibut didn't like the fact that when you prune it in the fall, there was not going to be anything there for a while. She didn't say anything. I mentioned that I liked archtosis and she had a blank look on her face. Told here the common name was african daisy and she said oh it's a ground cover. Well I wouldn't exactly call it a ground cover. She had no website either where I could see pictures of her work. It's sad when you know more about plants than they do! Be interesting what her estimate comes in at.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's sad when you know more about plants than they do! Be interesting what her estimate comes in at.

Mary

Why on earth pay some ding-a-ling for something you obviously know much better..... Take the best of the ideas put forth that you like the best, implement them and take a vacation on the money saved!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
bay, we are probably going to do the artificial grass. In five years we are going to be in our mid 60's and I don't think we are going to want to spend our time tending our front lawn. For some reason the front yard has never been a place where I wanted to garden or maintain. It has always been my husband's domain. My joy is in the backyard. My husband will never be a gardener so I want something that is no maintenance for him. I can play decorating and building the patio. My gardening extent is just to put maybe a pot or two there for color.

Mary

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've just read this thread. Mary: some folks in Saratoga (where we used to live, next to Cupertino. Los Gatos) put some fake grass down. Every single day I drove by it, I admired it. This was in maybe 2004 or so. Love that stuff.

I agree that its such a tiny space, than anything fussy would detract from the home.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary I love the way your house is restored not remodeled. The Victorians loved color and pattern, which they used large number of bedding plants to form . Why not do something like the knot garden in Canes photo, but use coloered gravel instead of bedding plants. I have a walkway of red stone, I have a cheap lealf blower that I use to clean off leaves .

Latest posts