Asparagus Recipes

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
this is my first post here and I could not resist with one of my favorite things! Asparagus!

make a seasoned (to your taste I like a little salt pepper and chile) tempura batter, toss your asparagus in flour then in the tempura and deep fry them whole!

serve hot crispy with dipping sauce of your choice (we like home made bleu cheese dressing)

this is a for sure every springtime thing for us when the Yakima asparagus come in (I have had no luck growing it myself :()

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
this is my first post here and I could not resist with one of my favorite things! Asparagus!

make a seasoned (to your taste I like a little salt pepper and chile) tempura batter, toss your asparagus in flour then in the tempura and deep fry them whole!

serve hot crispy with dipping sauce of your choice (we like home made bleu cheese dressing)

this is a for sure every springtime thing for us when the Yakima asparagus come in (I have had no luck growing it myself :()
Yummy, I am going to try this tonight.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:

Oh wow.... come over and make this for me!!!!!!!!! :drool

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:

After living in the south for 35 years you aquire a taste for anything fried. This sounds like almost the best fried veggie recipe I've heard. Easy too it seems!

I actually love all of these recipes you guys are suggesting.

Please someone tell me how to grow an "asparagus bed". We never grew it in Texas, so please tell me how it is done. I am very interested in growing my own now.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mhhh, I love asparagus, and reading those recipes made my mouth water. Besides the obvious ways of preparing asparagus, I love having it on a tuna melt (in place of tomatoes).

Steam your asparagus (to your liking)
Pre-toast two slices of bread
Put canned tuna on the pieces of bread (I like to add a little bit of mayo, spicy mustard, salt, pepper and a pinch of powdered garlic to the tuna before putting it on the bread)
Cut your asparagus in half and heap it on top of the tuna
Cover it with a slice of your favorite cheese (I suggest swiss)
Put it all under the broiler and watch while the cheese melts
ENJOY!

I could eat this for days. If you like tuna melts, this is the way to go!

PS: Yes, it seems like a lot of prep, but pre-toasting the bread ensures that it doesn't get soggy from the tuna. It realy doesn't take long to prepare.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cream of asparagus soup

take the tips off a bunch of asparagus and dice up the stalks
then simmer in vegetable or chicken broth 1 1/2 quarts until the stalk bits are tender
then puree in a blender (or if you have a hand blender even better because I tend to shoot soup all over the place with hot stuff in the blender)
then add the puree back to the pot ..put the tips in and cook just until tender

then finish with heavy cream salt and pepper

YUM! great topped as well with crumbled bacon

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
HiDelight,

This sounds easy and delicious! THANKYOU!:lol:
you are most welcome! I hope you try the deep fried asparagus it is an Eastern Washington favorite they sell it in Yakima this time of year at all the burger joints

very yummy!

PS I live on the sound as well I just love calling it the Salish Sea it sounds so romantic :)

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
big brown horse said:
HiDelight,

This sounds easy and delicious! THANKYOU!:lol:
you are most welcome! I hope you try the deep fried asparagus it is an Eastern Washington favorite they sell it in Yakima this time of year at all the burger joints

very yummy!

PS I live on the sound as well I just love calling it the Salish Sea it sounds so romantic :)
(Yes, that does sound romantic!)

OH MY GOSH! Yet another reason I love it up here!!! Everyday a new surprise! I MUST get to Yakima!!

If I cant make the drive, do they sell it around the Sound, I mean, the beautiful, Salish Sea, too? Or do I have to make my own? If so, do you have the recipe?

(Soon we are going to Squim for the famous Lavendar gardens!)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Latest posts