Asparagus Recipes

keljonma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I posted this on ss also.

It's getting to be that time of year here in NE Ohio. The asparagus bed has started showing new growth.

Except for eating it raw, fresh from the garden, here are the two ways we love to eat asparagus.

Sauted Garlic Asparagus
3 Tablespoons butter
1 bunch fresh asparagus
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Melt the butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and asparagus spears; cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until asparagus is tender. If you like your asparagus well done, reduce heat and cook an additional 10 minutes. Serves 4

Baked Asparagus with Balsamic Butter Sauce
1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed
Oil or cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Arrange the asparagus on a baking sheet. Coat with oil or cooking spray, and season with salt and pepper. Bake asparagus 12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and stir in soy sauce and balsamic vinegar. Pour over the baked asparagus to serve. Serves 4

What is your favorite asparagus recipe?

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh they sound yummy!

I planted the asparagus bed last year and we're just starting to get a few spears.

I've been sauteing it lightly in a little olive oil until it's as "crisp/tender" as you like. Grate a little fresh parmesan cheese over the top. Mmmmmm.

Kathy

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love asparagus on the grill. I brush it with butter and just turn it a few times until it starts to get tender then add a little black pepper. Now I'm gonna have to make some.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
jlmann said:
I love asparagus on the grill. I brush it with butter and just turn it a few times until it starts to get tender then add a little black pepper. Now I'm gonna have to make some.
I am making this tonight. I have never tried it on the grill.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Let me know if you like it. Some people will sprinkle Parmesan cheese on it too , but I like mine with just butter and pepper. I don't think it tastes as strong when you grill it.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hummm favorite recipe..... Raw....baked........steamed...........with sauce.....or butter .........salad dressing........plain :weee what ever I love them

arabookworm

Sprout
Reaction score
I just steam it then as soon as it is done add butter, salt, and lots of pepper... yummy...

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Made some tonight cause it's picking time! 3 min. steamed in the microwave, perfect....butter and garlic when done! Grab a rotisserie (sp?) chicken from your grocery deli and there's dinner! That's for me and hubby, kids out of the nest ;-)

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I am so jealous since I just started my asparagus bed this year and can't pick them, but those sound awesome. One of my favorites is asparagus quiche. Truthfully usually I don't even bother with the crust and just make an asparagus frittata. Frittata is my favorite way to use any garden surplus! Just mix up some milk and eggs a few seasonings and veg and cook in a pan, kind of like scrampbled eggs. You may have to cook your asparagus first to get it going. Then when it is still wobbly top with some good cheese and broil for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese.

Yum!

keljonma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Last night we had our first asparagus harvest for this year! We ate the first two spears straight from the garden. The rest I steamed for about 1.5 minutes - perfectly crunchy/tender. YUM!

Latest posts