Asparagus Recipes

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
big brown horse said:
HiDelight,

This sounds easy and delicious! THANKYOU!:lol:
you are most welcome! I hope you try the deep fried asparagus it is an Eastern Washington favorite they sell it in Yakima this time of year at all the burger joints

very yummy!

PS I live on the sound as well I just love calling it the Salish Sea it sounds so romantic :)
I just Wicka-ed Salish Sea... Very cool.

I taught Montessori school for 16 years and land forms are a big part of the science/geography curriculum. I am very intrigued by unique land forms and I love geography! Ive been emailing my old classroom monthly back in Texas (where there are almost no examples of land forms except the Gulf of Mexico.) to pass on little tidbits that I slowly learn...so thank you for helping. :D

There is still so much to explore and learn. (The kids are already floored to know that there IS a rainforrest in the USA. There is not only a rainforrest but also a desert in this state!:cool:)

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have lots of asparagus right now! Pick your own just a couple of miles! Tonight.....penne pasta with olive oil and garlic, seasonings....then add grilled salmon and asparagus tips, fresh parmesan cheese on top.....yum!! One of our local restaurants makes this and its goooood!

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
For those wondering about planting your own beds...do it! I'm no expert but I did our asparagus bed last year...

I found a link here too:

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/a/AsparagusFeatur_2.htm

The hardest part was digging the bed deep. At least 12 inches, if not a bit deeper.

Make sure you get male plants/crowns. I did a bed 3 feet x 6 feet and planted one crown per "square". Cover the crowns with about 2-3 inches of soil. As they grow, "fill in" with more soil...until your bed is filled and level with the ground around it again.

Didn't harvest anything last summer, just let the plants grow and get "ferny". This year (year #2) I will harvest for two weeks...then let the plants grow. Next year (year 3)...harvest for three weeks, etc, etc. I don't know if it's 100% necessary to do that but I read it somewhere! I think... :barnie

Hmmm, I think those are the main steps!

Regards,

Kathy

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pan searing it is our favorite technique. My husband usually does it, so here is my best recollection of the techinque:

You basically heat butter in a skillet (I think on medium heat) and then add the asparagus and cover and cook for 5-10 min, then turn the heat on high and let them get a little bit crispy brown in spots. You finish them with lime or lemon juice. Yum!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
kathyschix said:
For those wondering about planting your own beds...do it! I'm no expert but I did our asparagus bed last year...

I found a link here too:

http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetablepatch/a/AsparagusFeatur_2.htm

The hardest part was digging the bed deep. At least 12 inches, if not a bit deeper.

Make sure you get male plants/crowns. I did a bed 3 feet x 6 feet and planted one crown per "square". Cover the crowns with about 2-3 inches of soil. As they grow, "fill in" with more soil...until your bed is filled and level with the ground around it again.

Didn't harvest anything last summer, just let the plants grow and get "ferny". This year (year #2) I will harvest for two weeks...then let the plants grow. Next year (year 3)...harvest for three weeks, etc, etc. I don't know if it's 100% necessary to do that but I read it somewhere! I think... :barnie

Hmmm, I think those are the main steps!

Regards,

Kathy
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BBH I do not have any asparagus growing in this garden for some reason ..my old house I did ..but it is so cheap and easy to find fresh this time of year and Yakima is the best I think!

I just take the asparagus wash and dry a bit then toss in flour then dip in a tempura batter (you can google the recipe or use the box ...or use flour ..egg wash and then Italian bread crumbs

anything you would bread chicken with or other veggies (although I was disapointed in Panko crumbs with this and love those when frying anything!)

works ..then just get your oil good and hot (over 350) drop in a few at a time fry until crispy take out ..salt and eat with or with out dipping sauce! I am usually full befor dipping sauce because I eat them as they come out of the oil!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
HiDelight said:
big brown horse said:
HiDelight,

This sounds easy and delicious! THANKYOU!:lol:
you are most welcome! I hope you try the deep fried asparagus it is an Eastern Washington favorite they sell it in Yakima this time of year at all the burger joints

very yummy!

PS I live on the sound as well I just love calling it the Salish Sea it sounds so romantic :)
I just Wicka-ed Salish Sea... Very cool.

I taught Montessori school for 16 years and land forms are a big part of the science/geography curriculum. I am very intrigued by unique land forms and I love geography! Ive been emailing my old classroom monthly back in Texas (where there are almost no examples of land forms except the Gulf of Mexico.) to pass on little tidbits that I slowly learn...so thank you for helping. :D

There is still so much to explore and learn. (The kids are already floored to know that there IS a rainforrest in the USA. There is not only a rainforrest but also a desert in this state!:cool:)
I dont want to tell anyone but really if you can handle rain ..this is the best place in the world to live grown things :) toss a seed in and jump back!!!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello,

I went to a farmer's market nearby and bought some Yakama asparagus. I am so excited to try that recipe...tempura asparagus. (I've already been sneaking it raw which is another way I love to eat it.)

I just got back from the market and I purchased some tempura mix. I will let you know how yummy it is. I am also saving 1/2 of the bunch I bought to make the balsamic-butter recipe.

This bunch of asparagus was picked on Friday, so it is pretty fresh. The girl running the show said her father is the farmer and has a farm in Yakama. (Local farms :celebrate !!)

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight,

I am so in love with this area too! What rain?! A good friend up here told me that the only people with umbrellas are the tourists! Everyone is sooo nice too.

And yes, my garden never looked better! :tools

Cheers to the Salish Sea!!!

Latest posts