Asparagus

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No Mary, I've toyed with the idea for years but never acted on it. I have all the eggs I could possibly want from a neighbors that I trade stuff with...
Oh that's much better. Free delicious eggs without the work. Well except for the gardening work but we all know that's joy. ;)

Mary

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Henless, I have a dedicated 25' X 4' raised bed for them behind the main garden. We grow the 'Jersey Knight' variety, which do very well here in south central Texas.

asparagus_bed_112514-jpg.5268

Love your beds! I have to say, they sure put mine to shame. :)

DH & I finished the beds last weekend. I went ahead and planted Purple Passion asparagus in one of the beds. Went out to check the garden yesterday, and already had a spear up. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have asparagus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One very thick and juicy looking spear that is purple and some very sickly, thin, stringy looking spears that are white/green. Can't remember the rules of asparagus....do not pick the spears the first year? Pick?

Which action will encourage more of the same?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have asparagus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One very thick and juicy looking spear that is purple and some very sickly, thin, stringy looking spears that are white/green. Can't remember the rules of asparagus....do not pick the spears the first year? Pick?

Which action will encourage more of the same?

Don't pick. You want to let your asparagus get well established before you start harvesting. Some people say 3 years, but you can take small amounts the second year if you don't get carried away.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't pick. You want to let your asparagus get well established before you start harvesting. Some people say 3 years, but you can take small amounts the second year if you don't get carried away.

This is the second year but my biggest plant has only that one, huge spear....can I pick the only spear or not, you think?

Mine are on their first year, although I'm pretty happy with the progress they have made, mine came out very thin and lanky. I was ready to cut as soon as I started seeing them pop out but composed myself and this picture is a few weeks old, but now the bed is completely full of these and they get bigger by the day. I'm hoping next year to be able to harvest a few, I cant wait.
IMG_0355.JPG

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pick like thistlebloom said. Go easy the 2nd & 3rd year. Also, I've always heard don't pick anything smaller than your little finger.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup love our jersey giant's at 15 years old they are showing signs of slowing down... still enough for the 3 of us...
have to keep an eye on ava she will go to the bed and help herself...
Ava too! When we go to the garden during asparagus season we have to beat Will (DH's dog) to the asparagus or we don't get any LOL

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How tall does y'all's asparagus get if you don't pick them? Just curious, because this lonely spear of asparagus has grown so rapidly this past week that I lost my chance to pick it during it's tender moments and it's about 3 ft tall. It was only around 10 in. when I first noticed it.

Latest posts