Aspargus beds

ccrecelius

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, I have finally gotten most of my aspargus started (still waiting for my fall shipment). Anyway, I just wanted to ask a question.

I was talking to my dad yesterday about his aspargus. I know that aspargus had been growing there all of my life. My dad lives on our old family farm. It has been in our family since (I believe) the mid 1800's. I was telling him about this forum and that I had been told that I could expect my bed to last up to 20 years. He told me that his grandfather had found aspargus along railroad tracks and along roadsides and dug it up and replanted it along the fenceline where it grows now. This was all done around the turn of the century. And it STILL grows!!!! That was 100 years ago! And still going strong.

My question is: Is there any chance that my bed of aspargus will last this long? Or is there something different about the plants that I am planting vs what was planted by my great-grandfather so long ago?

Chris

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, I also along with ccrecelius would like to know about the strains of asparagus that has been growing on places for many generations. We moved back to Missouri 17 years ago and purchased a property from my Dad's neighbor. I also have asparagus growing along the pasture fence line. A couple of months ago I went and dug up (that was a chore the mother root is HUGE) a few starts from it.. :tools :th
The starts seem to be doing well in the 2 gal pots I put them in. I wish to put these in a raised bed here closer to the house... Does asparagus need a sandy clay type soil? or will it do well in a richer soil? :idunno

Karan

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From what little I know, the asparagus, will continue to produce endlessly, in ideal conditions. Spears can start to get smaller on the older plants, if some of the spears are not left to go to fern every year. I usually harvest the fattest spears, and allow the skinny ones to go to fern. In addition they love being top dressed every year with a good rich compost, or manure. Water the ferns regularly in the hot summer even after the production of spears has declined, and mulch with straw or? in the colder climates over winter. I believe from what I can remember, that a slightly sandy soil is preferred.

I also collect the seed berrys, from the ferns after they have turned dark red and started to fall off. I dryed them over winter, and then squeezed the 4-5 seeds out of the red berry. These I planted in seed pots in early spring,(inside) until the small ferns were hardy enough to be planted in the garden. These will be my future beds, as I only had 5 plants originally. These five did produce pretty good, but I love asparagus, and can eat a lot more! :p

I have never seen it growing wild before, so getting some plants that way would be a bonus!:)

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Bills,
I agree if you can find to get the starts for free it's even better..:coolsun So we should put some sand with our composted soil for the asparagus bed ? Vic thought it liked a sandier soil. We both love asparagus too. I found it is really tasty cooked in an omelet made from our fresh chicken eggs.. Yum Yum :p

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I would add a little sand, depending on your soil.

I love asparagus wrapped in a thin slice of prosciutto, and roasted for a few minutes over the BBQ, mmmmm:p, or steamed for a few minutes, and a light drizzle of chinese oyster sauce. Never tried it in an omelet, that sounds good!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do either of you saute or stir fry them? (Wok)

Cut on the extreme bias into bite sized pieces. They brown a bit, and are very good.

I saute them with 1" long red bell pepper strips and make either the start of something to go over rice, or to go over pasta. You can add chicken, or not, it depends upon the dish you are making.

Actually, we like them almost any way! Steamed, sauteed, roasted etc. :)

(I munch on them raw, too. I have to make sure there are more than I plan to cook, since I'm sure to taste them a few times before they make it into the pan/pot/oven/onto the barbeque.) :)

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh Yes :clap In fact for lunch I had saute some this afternoon with olive oil, dash of salt, garlic and sprinkle of parmesan cheese with my chicken....
It was tasty :woot :rolleyes: :p :) Just makes me want to plant an acre of it....
Oh we have a kitchen at the office so I can cook.... I at times have to cook for the prisoners anyway...

I will have to try it the way both Tutter & Bills have suggested sounds good!!!!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
Do either of you saute or stir fry them? (Wok):)
I have had some stir fryed, chinese style, and it was good. My problem..errr, well maybe not such a big problem, depending how you look at it, is that most members of my family don't care for asparagus. This means I have to be cautious which dish's I use it in. It can't be in the main course. The bonus of course is that I get to eat the majority of it.:) and I just love it....:p

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That would be both a plus, and minus... If I was there, you'd probably start cooking it in secret in a closet or something; no problems with me eating my share of asparagus, and anyone elses who doesn't protect their share! :D

That's great that you can cook at work, Karan! How many prisoners do you cook for? My oldest worked in the jail for a while, but she didn't cook for anyone.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tried a 3 egg omelet this morning, with the few asparagus spears I harvested. Threw a few pieces of chopped green onion, and some shredded cheddar in as well.

MMM-MMM Mighty fine dinning!:p

Latest posts