Aspargus beds

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bills I'm glad you enjoyed them that way :p Great isn't it to find soo many ways to enjoy a harvest and make it a feast??? :clap
DH & I just had some in our Shrimp Scampi w/ linguini for dinner .tastey :love

Tutter I imagine she worked in a much larger jail than we have. We can hold 6 max I'm in the 2nd smallest county in MO so we cook & do laundry for the jail as well as dispatch. I'm secretary at the local Sheriff's Office. So I pretty much do it all. :barnie :weee
Up side is I get to tell everyone where to go ... :gig

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG, you're making me hungry! I've been thinking about starting some asparagus, but it's likely we're going to be moving from this house in a few years. How long does it take to get stalks off of it? I was thinking of planting some this fall to give it a head start for the spring. Do you know of a good mail-order supplier for asparagus?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
OMG, you're making me hungry! I've been thinking about starting some asparagus, but it's likely we're going to be moving from this house in a few years. How long does it take to get stalks off of it? I was thinking of planting some this fall to give it a head start for the spring. Do you know of a good mail-order supplier for asparagus?
Kate, it does take a few years for an asparagus bed to really start producing good numbers of edible spears. You could start them now, and then transplant them to your future home. I don't know if anyone has planted them in containers before (?), but that might be an option as well. It would certainly make it easier for when it's time to move.

I am not familiar with plant mail order operations, but I imagine a google search may turn up a seller. Check with your local nurseries, as they might order some for you, if they don't have them. You could also start them from seed.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've learned something, Kate. Don't put off planting because of something which may happen, or even will for sure.

If you will be there for 2 years, you'll get a few spears, and then be doing well by the 3rd/4th year.

If you move, you can start a new patch, and hopefully whoever moves into your house will be thrilled to have an asparagus patch. In fact, it could be a selling point! "That cute house with the already established asparagus patch. Dave, I've just got to have it!" ;)

You can check your local nursery for information, and as a possible source, too.

Good luck! :)

ccrecelius

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I totally agree. I wanted to plant my patch 5 or 6 years ago and kept making excuses. Now that I have mine planted, I am waiting instead of eating!

Latest posts