Back to Eden Gardening

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
From my little bit of research, someone has used everything for mulch. Like the old saying:
We've done so much with so little for so long, that we are now qualified to do everything with nothing.

I'm getting free woodchips for the hauling. I'm choosing the precomposted pile. They are soaking up the mud and I approve. Dampening the offensive parrot odors. When I rake back the "used to be chips", there are worms everywhere. The parrots approve.

So choose your mulch. In the heavy clay, the chips are working. The leaves I put down last fall are gone. Nowhere to be seen. Nada. Something is working.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to order the rest of my seeds. Sure hope they come quickly, as I should have already had some in trays and some planted in the garden.

Just dragging behind due to one thing or another this year...as per usual.

Peach blossoms are on the verge of blooming...needed to get a copper solution to spray those trees this year before blooming if I want to avoid the fungal infection they got last year.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sprayed my little peach tree twice. Once in November and just before they budded the year before. Still got quite a bit of peach leaf curl but it didn’t seem to affect its production.

If it’s not going to make a difference this lazy gardener is not going to bother. Too much work for nothing.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year the fruit started rotting on the branch...pretty, lovely and ripening fruit and then, suddenly, it was covered in fungus and rot. That was a first here, so I'll try to avoid it this year by spraying if I can, but if it makes no difference, I won't bother with it anymore.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Please post the results of your spraying. I'm new to orchard management, so have no idea what to spray for. I don't plan on spraying for anything if I can help it.

Question for everyone, do y'all rotate your crops? I plan on using cattle panels for some of mine. Really not thrilled about having to take everything down and move to a different bed every year.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try to rotate things a little every other year on things like tomatoes, beans, cukes and potatoes(mainly because I don't like having to move my T posts for the CP trellising), every year on things like squash, lettuces, onions, etc., because those are easier to rotate.

In a garden this small it's kind of a moot point, really, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something constructive, so I do it anyway.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I too plant my tomatoes in the same place every year. There's no other place for them. I do rotate my kale, zucchini, and peppers. These are just in 3 tiny 4x4 beds that are in front of my tomatoes. Potatoes are in containers every year.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my seed taters today...will cut them and let them cure out tomorrow, with hopes of getting them planted this Friday.

Got to build a hay bale raised bed first so I can use it as one large container planting. Will also plant in the compost rings around the saplings again this year, but this next fall I'll remove those rings and place them beside the saplings instead of around them. A wise lady told me that keeping them around the saplings could cause the saplings to experience some problems and even death.

Latest posts