Back to Eden Gardening

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, got chicken poo, but not a lot. Mine spend almost all of their time out in the yard - so no poop collecting. I get a wheelbarrow of poo/bedding out from under the roost about once a month.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or dump some in a tub, fill it with water and then use manure tea out of it all season. Add more poo as you get it. It will go further that way if you just use the tea for side dressing your plants and such.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
.. another question - and I apologize that I'm not following the correct plan by trying to rush the process :hide

If I'm short on 'green', can I add fertilizer? The reason I ask - with a straw bale garden, you start with a bale of straw (brown) and add fertilizer + water. In a month or so it's breaking down enough to be showing some nice, dark compost and you can start planting. I have lots of leaves, lots of sawdust heavy manure mix, lots of spoiled hay/straw, and lots of wood chips. I've got almost no grass clippings, straight manure (without sawdust), kitchen scraps.

cow bedding doesn't have enough nitrogen? i thought cow urine was nitrogen enough for most uses. i thought the nose mash gal was being milked in a stall... ? (still giggling about that yet :) ). *hearts*

if you have animals you butcher those remains are prime for using in a compost pile to balance out the carbon, or ask around and see if someone has extra you can use for one time shot like this.

it used to be that you could get blood meal for fertilizer, i haven't looked in ages. we had some old packages here that i gradually fed through the worm bins so they could digest it. smelly stuff, but seemed potent.

i always prefer to stick to things that are not manufactured. nowadays even bone meal is so processed there's not a whole lot left of what you'd think in there. in the old days it would be full of bits of other stuff, now i think they take all that for making hot-dogs or pig food or something.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eva, being a properly raised southern dairy cow, (almost) NEVER poops or pees while in the stanchion.
Although, I have been letting her in the yard to graze so I've got a few good piles there to collect. :)
th

I was just doing some googling to see what the ratio should be and I keep coming across 30:1 carbon : nitrogen and then they said that in practical use it would be 2 'parts' green/carbon to 1 part brown/nitrogen. SO, using a 5gallon bucket as a part = 2 buckets of manure to 1 bucket of dead leaves...
:ep
Doesn't that seem pretty heavy on the carbon???? I would've thought it would be the other way around. :idunno

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Personally, I don't give a cow poop or chicken poop either, for that matter, what ratio to green, brown, purple or plaid. I just throw it all in a pile and let nature so the rest. I dig out what I need, apply it where it want it and stuff grows. :thumbsup

I want to see the plaid compost!!! Please! Plaid compost! Is it Irish?

If you say this too loud, someone will tell you are doing it wrong and why it won't work. I *love* the internet.

And by *love*, I mean loathe.
And by internet, I mean the anonymity that lets trolls hide from standing behind their words.

I guess my only real concern is too much wet green stuff and it can turn slimy and smelly. Not that smelly means much to a pig owner. All things are relative...

The wood chips are matting. Pretty neat to see. Keeping most of the weeds down where it is packed, but the grass is now poking through and I'm plucking solitary sprigs of grass. It's gonna be a long summer.

Latest posts