Back to Eden Gardening

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question - my cardboard supply is far exceeding my compost/manure supply.
Should I store it somewhere until I am ready to start layering? Or can I go ahead an put it down without putting anything on top of it?

put a few layers down with the seams overlapping enough that the light doesn't get through and then weight it down so it won't go flying when the wind comes up. otherwise it can be left as is. you may have holes in it eventually... just add another layer if needed. i put extra newspapers under it for another layer.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to kill a section of grass for a patio. I laid down cardboard nothing else. Worked great but I did get a note in my mailbox about how it looked.
No wonder your neighborhood got upset ... you DIDN'T call Martha to properly decorate the ugly cardboard for proper presentation ? Shocking .... simply shocking ! :th :lol: :lol:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is the neighborhood watch dog. Anything she sees and does not approve of gets a unsigned note. Because everyone on the street has gotten her notes no one take it serious. She happens to live right across from me, so I am in her crosshairs more often then others.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is the neighborhood watch dog. Anything she sees and does not approve of gets a unsigned note. Because everyone on the street has gotten her notes no one take it serious. She happens to live right across from me, so I am in her crosshairs more often then others.
My mind immediately hit the gutter, but it would get you in a heap of trouble. If you could time the note and the postman delivery (so he/she wouldn't see it) I'd tape up a picture of a naked man. After that, she would either fill your mailbox with notes or never open it again. :lol:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

I don't see the problem. She's a neighborhood eccentric, not taken seriously. I don't see the harm in getting a note every now and then.

I don't know why but she made me think of Ruthie the Duck Lady, they don't sound anything alike. Ruth Moulon was a French Quarter eccentric that had great local fame. She even made TripAdvisor. I'll include a write-up about her. She died of cancer in 2008. As long as thy do no harm I think thee eccentrics should be embraced.

Miss Moulon's daily routine consisted of roaming from one watering hole to another, mooching drinks and cigarettes. She could be sweet one minute and unleash a torrent of profanity the next.

Although people deemed Miss Moulon's behavior unconventional even by French Quarter standards, no one ever diagnosed her mental condition because she refused to see a doctor, David Cuthbert wrote in The Times-Picayune in 2001.

"She's not out of touch with reality; she's just not interested, "

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I call her Gladys Kravitz (Bewitched) she is the joke of the street. Because everyone gets her notes no one feels targeted. We wave to each other ever since I told her she could having figs off my tree. That doesn't stop her from putting notes in my mailbox. She has a big front porch that she sits on every day.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would befriend her just to shock her out of her pants so to speak. Take her a plate of figs every once in a while. She probably would appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness.

Mary