Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you ready for this? I couldn't grow a zucchini plant worth a darn! Who does that? The first plant kept being dug up by something. I've never had anything bother it before. The second just wouldn't grow so I pulled it out and planted a third plant. That one gave me a couple of male flowers and that was about it. It's too late in the season and I'm about to pull it out.

Many are reporting the same thing, so it's not you. Two of my siblings had lush and beautiful squash, full of blooms...but no squash. I had 6 yellow squash plants and got maybe 3-4 off each plant before they died from either wilt or vine borers. I have a few other types of squash in the garden right now...lush growth, all kinds of bloom, no fruit.

All across the state I've seen tomato plants that are lush and green, tall and strong...little to no fruit, and no fruit that ripens. I had to prune mine back severely to get it to put on bloom and actually produce some tomatoes, but they still aren't as big nor as many as previous years.

My lovely rhubarb? Bigger than I've ever seen? All but one looks dead or has died. Too wet, too much fungal growth. The asparagus seem to like it but who knows what is going on at the root level?

Peppers were a bust...all got fungus, no bloom, no fruit. Corn had spotty pollination, the ears were scrawny and uneven, very few ears per plant, though this corn got some good levels of nitrogen and plenty of moisture.

Spuds did okay but not as well as they should have for the space planted.

Broccoli was lovely, huge and starting to head out one day...a few days later it looked like green lace from the millions of tiny, tiny caterpillars.

Bad year, is all. You are right...if you can't even grow zucchini, which is about the easiest thing to grow in the world, then it's a bad garden year.

I didn't have a single cuke this year..all vines died, those that lived awhile didn't get a single cuke on them. Squash bugs and beetles were at a minimum, so can't blame it on them.

Zinnias and sunflowers look great, though.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lack of pollinators?
Could be for me although I plant flowers that draw pollinators. This year I even planted a borage in the raised bed. Did see bees on it. My oregano and lavender didn't seem to have as many bees as usual.

My tomatoes did well. I tried some new varieties that I won't grow again, like a currant tomato. Worst plant ever with tiny tomatoes the size of peas. My peppers did well too and so did my tomatillos which I'm trying for the first time. I'll plant those again but on a trellis this time.

Zinnias did great too. Started those from seeds and I'm very happy with them. I just need to find a place for them next year which is hard to do. They were right next to my melons.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lack of pollinators?
I've got tons of pollinators...I think it's more due to the torrential rains every day or every other day. I think it has kept the pollinators from working as well as they should when it's the most important.

This is bee and butterfly central right now!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I noticed that I haven't gotten as many monarchs as usual. They normally eat my milkweed down to the branches but it's been untouched so far. Haven't seen any yellow swallowtails either.

Mary

Latest posts