Back to Eden Gardening

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have read that bat houses are used best when placed high on the side of a building like a barn. I guess most of us don't have anything tall enough to accommodate a bat house. We probably wouldn't want it on the side of our residence.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How neat is that? A basketball backboard would make the perfect place for a bathouse and also has the flat surface on which to build it. The vid I saw showed them building a bat house that was almost the exact size of a basketball backboard!

You and hubby can come any time you like! :frow Fall is mighty pretty around these parts and we just got a comfy new sectional couch that feels like a dream for sitting, talking and soaking up the wood heat on a chilly fall morning. I'd make you homemade bread, venison stew(if we've had a good season!) and we'd have fresh eggs in the morning for breakfast. We'd have a ball!

We could even have a bonfire and sit out under the stars, listen to the owls hooting and talk about life. Love doing such things. :love

Our backboard came with the place, and apparently was installed perfectly for bats. They checked in over 30 yrs ago and never left. We have cedar siding on the house, but the garage is cheap cruddy stuff that will have to be replaced someday, maybe. So we just clean up the pile now and then and leave them be.

IMG_3450.JPG

:)...Thanks so much for the wonderful invite! You really described my kinda vacation!... as long as you don't make me eat squirrel.:hide I sure wish we could get away this time of year, as I glare at a pile of paperwork and wonder how to cram 6 months worth of sewing into 60 days. One of these days I'm going to retire, for real! Would LOVE to be sitting on your porch, guano or not! :)

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have read that bat houses are used best when placed high on the side of a building like a barn. I guess most of us don't have anything tall enough to accommodate a bat house. We probably wouldn't want it on the side of our residence.

I think my son is going to put theirs on a tall pole. Will have to let you know if it's successful. They have a lot of bats around.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our little bats don't seem to care that the porch isn't high up...I can reach up and touch the current little boarder, though he/she chitters and bears her little teeth at me if I venture to touch her with anything...don't blame her, I don't like folks waking ME up either! :gig

Who knows what lures bats into certain places? Maybe the bathouses offered where just not positioned right to the wind and weather, maybe smelled too new?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my clients has a bat house high, really high up on the north side of an old Ponderosa pine. I don't know if it's occupied. I do know they would also sometimes roost on the ceiling of their deck roof. That's really high too.
It was my Type A client, and the piles of guano gave her arythmia fits. Just kidding, but she didn't really care how many mosquitoes they consumed, she wanted them to sleep in their own bedroom.

Same house, new owners. A little more relaxed, and I'm not tasked with cleaning the deck anymore so I don't know the bat status.......

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just saw on today's noon news on a major Portland, Ore. TV news report that the Oregon Health Dept. just confirmed the 10th RABID BAT for this year. :caf

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bats will be out there anyway, whether you provide a shelter for them or not. It's important to keep your animals vaccinated since the chances are much greater they will come in contact with a bat. Infected bats do not live long and they don't become aggressive. Common sense and caution, as with all wild animals. :)

Latest posts