Back to Eden Gardening

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just went back to page one, so I could see all your pictures. You have such a pretty place, a little jewel tucked away just for your family. Beautiful.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why are you taking down the fence, your sons worked so hard putting up?

That's what we USED to do, NYboy....that's why the end of garden season was such a big chore. We have used deer netting on push in stakes for years now to keep the chickens and dogs out, but Mom never wanted to leave up the fence as she didn't feel like it was attractive enough. Now we get to leave this one in place and it's such a luxury!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just went back to page one, so I could see all your pictures. You have such a pretty place, a little jewel tucked away just for your family. Beautiful.

By God's grace alone, Bay....we almost lost this place due to evil machinations of estranged siblings in my family. I thank God for it every single day!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Loved your photos, Bee. There is little that lifts a gardener's heart than reaching into rich soil. I'm glad you can see such improvements in only one growing season.

Red, I've tried many a method to improve these soils and never have I seen such complete results in so little time. I'm VERY impressed and wish I had known about this method years ago. I don't think I'll ever go back to traditional gardening...once established, this method is just too easy and so very gratifying. The true test will be in the spring and the final yield of all that I plant.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, I'm following in your footsteps. Learning so much from you. I'm a little OCD in the garden. Not a dead flower nor weed around. Beds super clean. But I'm getting used to just letting the leaves fall in the flower beds and putting all greens in the chicken coop. So far, I'm loving it too. My husband not so much since he had to go up to the Oakland hills to get a truckload of horse manure. I would have loved to have gone with him but I had to work. Now the only thing I worry about is collecting 27 bags of leaves to hold me for the year. :rolleyes:

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We purchased this small town home about 3 years ago. The neighbors told me that the former owners where organic gardeners. When we moved here, the yard lawns were dead, was full of overgrown and dead weeds, dead/ dying trees and bushes due to neglect because the bank was foreclosing the property. Our front and backyard flowerbeds had wood chips/ cut up small diameter branches on top / mixed into the soil. I found empty plastic bags in the garage that had "organic compost " printed on them. I planted different types of flowers, perannuals, shrubs... they don't seem to grow but start to turn pale. their life span is somewhere between 3- 7 months. :confused: I started to collect grass clippings from neighbors to improve the soil , kill weeds, and grow worms on the entire yards. Worked great, but the worm hordes braught in every mole in the area to feast on this bounty. :barnie This year I stopped the grass clippings , a huge flock of robbins moved in and gorged on the worms and raised 2 broods of offspring in nests in a huge woodlot accross the street. Worm numbers dropped back to where thery were when we moved here and the moles and robbins left for greener pastures. :celebrate Anyone have any bright ideas as what I should consider doing to the errant killing field flower beds ? :hu

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bobm if the wood chips were MIXED into the soil, that is your problem. They are depleting nitrogen. I guess you have 2 choices, either dig that soil out or add tons of compost. Wood chips are supposed to be on TOP of the soil.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I have added nitrogen, slow release fertilizer in Miracle Grow compost, as well as well rotted compost from an organic composting company 7 miles from our house to these beds a number of times, the soil is quite friable with organic matter and well drained sandy soil, with NO visible success.

Latest posts