Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, when I get these last two little piles on the garden we may have reached the proper depth of chips...I'll be measuring to make sure. Ideal is supposed to be 6 in....I'd say right now I've got 4-6 in. on the deepest parts and less than 2 in. on some others. I hope to get that all evened out today, finally.

I don't think one can ever get enough manure, though. :D I'll be scavenging and producing as much of that as I can get and placing it on the garden all fall/winter...supposedly, the chips compost much better if they have more nitrogen for the bacteria to feed upon.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have lots of pine shavings from the horse stables spread out over the garden. We finished the fence, but I have to build a hog hut, trough and get a water tub. Getting 3 blue-butt piggies next week. Oh, also have to get a solar hot wire set up and install it to keep the little darlings off the fence. Those shavings/horse manure should be well plowed in by spring. Then, top with more shavings/horse manure! Our neighbor, Robert is going no-till too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule are they really called Blue Butts ? Don't know what I like better bacon, ham or pork chops !!!

Yes they are really called blue butts. I'll see if I can find a picture...... yup! found some pics, courtesy of the internet.

blue butt.jpg

blue butts.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like they have britches on. You could use a sharpie and draw little suspenders and a bow tie on them.

If you were bored I mean.

That sounds like a great idea! Ha! I could use colored markers and really dress them up. Hmmm..... I think my grand daughter and I could have some real fun with it!

Latest posts