Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I brought home large bags of grass clippings, chopped leaves and regular leaves from town today...13 bags total. Also brought home taters from my brother's house and planted them. Raked back the chips, placed cow manure in the row with them, covered that back with the wood chips, then covered the rows with grass clippings and leaves. Will then cover that with a thick layer of wood chips. This winter I'll put wood ashes on the rows until each row has had some.

Got one more row to do in that manner and my spring tater planting will be finished.

Will try to get my winter greens bed planted this week as well and will be ordering my onion seeds and garlic to plant this fall also.

Got a lawn sweeper from my brother today, something he's barely used and hasn't used for years. Will see if it still works and then I'll be using it to sweep up all the leaves I possibly can before the winds and rain scatter them. Some will fill the coop, some will be stored for bedding, but the majority will go on the garden.

I'll also be going to town a couple times this week to see if I can scavenge even more leaves. Can you believe them townies put those bags of gold out for the trash guy? :th

I also put an ad in the locals for wanting bagged leaves, straw bales no longer wanted for fall decoration, etc.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Bee, I got 4 large bags yesterday! My eyes are now peeled to leaves as I drive. Usually I have to rake them though. Sure would be nice to find them already bagged. But I doubt that will happen.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet you'd find more than you think if you live in a residential area....I had my truck loaded down like the Grinch that stole Christmas today and couldn't fit anymore on there and that was just in three stops for bags.

Going to really hit the burbs tomorrow and see how many I can bring home, as I'll be in town anyway. I also have to bring home some building materials, so that may hinder getting as much as I would like, but I'm betting I'll still get more than I had before I left! :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:lol: Yes!!! Today I was doing that and having to look in my rear view in case I was going to cause a potential problem. My Mom was just hanging on for dear life as I made a louie here and there to go back and get leaves.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's all for a purpose, so I don't feel a bit bad about it...every little bit on my garden or in my coop spells more garden success~more fresh, nutrient dense food~the following year.

I'm still amazed at how well even my shallow depth wood chips have composted in just 5 mo., so I'm pretty excited to see what 5 more months and the additional rains/snows can yield, particularly after I've gotten better depth to the composting material.

For instance, the short row of potatoes I planted in the spring were very mounded up with material about a foot high or more all spring/summer...this evening the only way I could tell where those potatoes had been planted was the green tops sticking up out of that row where I left the taters in place. That's how much that mound had composted down...the soil under that area was even more black and rich than the other places I uncovered this evening.

Can't wait 'til spring! :weee I've never had soil that looked like that, so I'm just jumpin' up and down inside to try it out. :ya

Latest posts