Back to Eden Gardening

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shucking and silking corn....across the generations. That is a beautiful picture. You ought to print them out and frame them. I am glad your garden is doing so well, you were discouraged at first. It looks like a vegetable jungle now! Your garden is lovely and weed free. Did you find that the mulch discourages weeds? Mine didn't. I am now pulling the weeds by the wagonload for the sheep, (2 per day-it's too hot for more) they love them!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shucking and silking corn....across the generations. That is a beautiful picture. You ought to print them out and frame them. I am glad your garden is doing so well, you were discouraged at first. It looks like a vegetable jungle now! Your garden is lovely and weed free. Did you find that the mulch discourages weeds? Mine didn't. I am now pulling the weeds by the wagonload for the sheep, (2 per day-it's too hot for more) they love them!

The weeds love the mulch the same as the plant do...mostly I've had crab or joint grass and that's been everywhere. We had one big removal of the various sprouts of it, along with a steady pulling of it anytime I happen to be near one, but now it's creeping back in and will need another hoeing. Luckily, hoeing grass out of mulch is much, much different than hoeing it out of hard clay soil...almost enjoyable, really.

My son's BTE has a different kind of joint grass, one that is much more tightly bound to the soil and mulch and harder to remove...I forget what they call it. Anyhoo...it's kind of amusing to see how deep green and lush is the grass around the edge of his fence. You can really tell there is nutrient leaching going on from his wood chips. He has better soil under his chips, so even though this is his first year with the chips, his stuff is doing better than mine in many ways. Especially his melons.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love the pics! Those will be such good memories and you'll be glad you caught them. :)

I usually prune back the tops of my tomatoes by this point in the season, but since my cherry tomato wants to shoot for the moon, I'm gonna let it. I added a bamboo stake and it could go to 12' if it wants to. I'd be willing to drag out the step-ladder just to see if it would. :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would....mine is already at 10+ ft. and the one I pruned back at 6 ft. decided to ignore that and grow past it, now is around 7-8 ft.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, sounds like your BTE is still being productive with other veggies. Do you think your garden is worse this year than last year? Just think, if you start planting later then you will have a longer rest period. :D I think next year is when you will see a better difference.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, sounds like your BTE is still being productive with other veggies. Do you think your garden is worse this year than last year? Just think, if you start planting later then you will have a longer rest period. :D I think next year is when you will see a better difference.

Mary

It's worse in some ways, better in others...don't know really how to process that information. :D Where do you go from there but just let it all rest in the hands of God and get busy with preserving what I managed to grow. Right now I'm cooking down maters. Tomorrow will pick corn, finally, to can up.

Bee how are your roses doing ?

Really, really crappy. Most of them died after blooming once, the one that didn't die never bloomed or grew much and the one we have that always blooms really well is less healthy than it was in previous years, despite being fed more good things than it ever has been~blood meal, bone meal, cow and horse manure, epsom salts, pelleted lime, etc. It did better when it was completely ignored for years and the deer kept eating it off. :confused:

So, once again, I've proven that I do not have a green thumb...more like black, brown, or malarial yellow...but definitely not green. :rolleyes: I've killed more things this year than I ever have, so I may go back to ignoring all these plants....that seems to work best. :D

Latest posts