Back to Eden Gardening

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have blighted tomatoes also, and they are the ones growing in the straw bales. The same varieties that went into the ground are healthy. I have no idea what this means.
The blighted ones are also the ones up front with the grasshopper herd, so that might be a factor...

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My dog, Ben, eating a peach he stole off my tree...just stood up and picked it off as casual as you please. :smack View attachment 15526

I like this! Paul G's dogs eat out of his garden all the time. They just pick or pull up what they want and eat it.

Thanks Bee. I put a lot of work in my chicken coops. I have an old 30x30 barn that I'm slowly converting over to chickens. So far I have one side finished and work has started on the other side. I slacked off this summer. I haven't felt that good & my Mom has been having health problems so I really haven't had much time or energy to finish the other side. It will get done some day.

This is what it looked like 3 yrs ago when I first started working on my ol' barn. This is what happens when you have a barn & have sold all your horses. Everyone & their brother wants to store stuff in it. Most of this is not ours, lol.

iphone photos 287.JPG

Here it is from last fall. I have my clear plastic up for wind break & my tarp at the North end of the alley way.

IMG_3504.JPG

I really like how open it is. Our summers are brutal. I need all the air flow I can get.

Blight got all my tomatoes except for my volunteers from seeds. I had heirloom & hybrids, but none of them survived.

This is my first year to really have a garden. I enjoyed it, learned a lot and hope to improve next year. I will have a bigger garden, the rows will be spaced wider apart & I will plant earlier than I did this year.

We've gotten some much needed rain over the last couple of days. We got 2 1/2" which is more than we've gotten since May. Sadly, parts of Louisiana has been decimated. I pray for those who have lost during this time.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a wonderfully large and airy coop! What a blessing to have that space handy for turning into a coop. I know exactly what you mean about other folks storing in your space...we have a log shed that gets bad each year as my boys store their hunting stuff and other odds and ends there.

My volunteers didn't get blight either....makes you wonder, doesn't it? What if a person just waited in the spring until volunteers sprouted, then transplanted them into a richer soil medium to give them more oomph, then set them back out in the garden? Or, better yet, planted the seeds you wanted to grow right where they will be in the garden and let them "volunteer" right there? Could be those seeds most resistant to disease would thrive and grow, while others would not....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like this! Paul G's dogs eat out of his garden all the time. They just pick or pull up what they want and eat it.

Thanks Bee. I put a lot of work in my chicken coops. I have an old 30x30 barn that I'm slowly converting over to chickens. So far I have one side finished and work has started on the other side. I slacked off this summer. I haven't felt that good & my Mom has been having health problems so I really haven't had much time or energy to finish the other side. It will get done some day.

This is what it looked like 3 yrs ago when I first started working on my ol' barn. This is what happens when you have a barn & have sold all your horses. Everyone & their brother wants to store stuff in it. Most of this is not ours, lol.

View attachment 15674

Here it is from last fall. I have my clear plastic up for wind break & my tarp at the North end of the alley way.

View attachment 15675

I really like how open it is. Our summers are brutal. I need all the air flow I can get.

Blight got all my tomatoes except for my volunteers from seeds. I had heirloom & hybrids, but none of them survived.

This is my first year to really have a garden. I enjoyed it, learned a lot and hope to improve next year. I will have a bigger garden, the rows will be spaced wider apart & I will plant earlier than I did this year.

We've gotten some much needed rain over the last couple of days. We got 2 1/2" which is more than we've gotten since May. Sadly, parts of Louisiana has been decimated. I pray for those who have lost during this time.
My dogs have always picked and eaten their own blueberries.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, it seems to me that my volunteer tomatoes would not have time to produce before fall arrived.

Mary

That could be so....maybe if they "volunteered" in a cold frame setup? I'm building one here soon and will be trying to plant some lettuce and such to take through winter...I may do a little experiment with tomato seeds in that soil, letting them ferment, freeze, then seed them into that frame this winter to see if they come up in the spring. I had volunteers from the first of spring onward and some produced very well, though they weren't the type of tomato I was wanting, being only cherry tomatoes.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It always has seemed kind of backyards that mother nature would sprout volunteers late and then they don't have time to make it before cold weather sets in.

Mary

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is a wonderfully large and airy coop! What a blessing to have that space handy for turning into a coop. I know exactly what you mean about other folks storing in your space...we have a log shed that gets bad each year as my boys store their hunting stuff and other odds and ends there.

My volunteers didn't get blight either....makes you wonder, doesn't it? What if a person just waited in the spring until volunteers sprouted, then transplanted them into a richer soil medium to give them more oomph, then set them back out in the garden? Or, better yet, planted the seeds you wanted to grow right where they will be in the garden and let them "volunteer" right there? Could be those seeds most resistant to disease would thrive and grow, while others would not....

Thanks Bee! I love my coop. It's not one of those cutesy coops but I much prefer being able to get inside with out have to stoop over and do anything. I'm too old for all that! lol

I've been thinking about planting more seeds next year instead of transplants. My tomato, eggplant and bell pepper plants just all died. My squash & zucchini transplants did good. I'm going to try it. If they don't come up, I can always go and buy transplants.

Bee, it seems to me that my volunteer tomatoes would not have time to produce before fall arrived.

Mary

If you plant them early enough they should. My tomato plant sprouted from seeds in my compost bin. I moved it to the garden and it did better than my purchased transplants. I'm going to try it next year and see. I need to start looking around and finding me some seeds to order and have on hand.

I don't know if I like having a BTE orchard. I put about 1 1/2 loads of chips on my orchard a few weeks ago. I have grass growing everywhere! I did not put down cardboard. I didn't have that much to put down. I'm thinking of raking some of the chips up around the trees to make it a bit deeper and then moving the rest of them to my garden. I would rather mow my orchard than have to go weed it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
henless, I was thinking of volunteer tomatoes more or less those than come up from the ground from last years fallen rotten ones. I didn't think of just direct sowing them. This would definitely give me more time.

Mary

Latest posts