Back to Eden Gardening

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, my corn and some of my beans were turning yellow, so I got a bucket of red dirt and sprinkled around them. I also got chicken poop, soaked it in a bucket and used it to make chicken butt juice for garden plants. The nitrogen from the chicken poop is working! The corn and beans greened up too.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red dirt? Is that something native to TX? We have plenty of red clay mud here but it ain't correcting any nutrient imbalances, I can tell ya!

Bay! Chicken butt juice! :lol: Somehow, I think we are related..... :D

Scrap don't sell for much here, either, though many continue to steal copper and such for what little drug money they can get out of it. :rolleyes:

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's a shame so many people steal. Some people have been going into empty houses and stealing copper wiring. All my tools, fishing, power saws, drills, and most my camping gear was stolen. I don't even know how it happened because someone is almost always around. When we do leave it's usually not more than a few hours. It is really disheartening when you worked so hard to buy things only to lose them.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a shame. Seems it's on the rise, too..."lawlessness shall increase" in these last days.

We'd be stolen blind in our neighborhood if it weren't for the dogs being on an invisible fencing system. People don't know if the dogs can/will cross their boundary or not and all our tools are up in the shed, around which they do their living.

We've also got a reputation for using guns wisely, so it's a double whammy here. If not for that, we'd not have anything left.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes we even had our dog stolen. Our beautiful Bella, a year and a half old Borador, spade, children friendly and was just learning to leave the chickens alone (under direct supervision). She was locked up on our back porch and when we got home the gate was open and her color laying on the floor.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, we have what is called iron ore red dirt/clay. It's easy to find reddish iron ore rocks around here. Sometimes you find a house built with the rocks. We looked at a place that was built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) back in 1934. The house needed to be completely restored which would have cost more than we could afford. But it was really cool and had a lot of history.

sorry, pictures are sideways...

IMG1649.jpg

IMG1648.jpg

IMG1651.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Bay great house
It had serious issues that would have required hundreds of thousands to restore. Sadly we had to pass on it. The small stone structure was the smoke house. They hung meat in it to feed the crew of men. The CCC was created in the Depression to give employment to young men. They were paid $5 a week, with most of it sent to their parents/family to help out. The house was the office. They planted trees, taught farmers conservation and built earthen terraces to control erosion.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes we even had our dog stolen. Our beautiful Bella, a year and a half old Borador, spade, children friendly and was just learning to leave the chickens alone (under direct supervision). She was locked up on our back porch and when we got home the gate was open and her color laying on the floor.

That is so sad! :(

Latest posts