Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, have you been adding chips every year? I can't remember if you've mentioned it.

Mary

I don't think I added any last year, but did add a layer of leaves, much to my detriment. Now I'm really needing to add chips, as these seemed to disappear this spring like magic!

I'm thinking every third year seems like a good goal for adding a new depth of chips....just finding them continues to be a problem. I have a pile sitting in my yard but they are not ramial chips and were cut with very dull chippers, so huge branches in there. In other words, to be used only as a last resort.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't added chips since I started, which was the same time as you. I also need to add more but haven't found any free ones.

I removed some calla lilies from the sides of my fountain and back against the fence. It makes it much easier to get to the fountain for maintenance. I have fruit trees planted on each side of it. I want to add some horse manure and then cover with chips around that area. I like the neater look and may eventually remove the rest of the lilies in front of the fountain. They are nice when the bloom but then they flop over and I have to cut them down.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, are you seeing better growth this year than the previous years? I don't know if it's just a really good season, but I'm seeing tremendously better growth and healthier plants than last year and the year before.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, are you seeing better growth this year than the previous years? I don't know if it's just a really good season, but I'm seeing tremendously better growth and healthier plants than last year and the year before.
It's hard to tell. I'm one of those people that can't tell one year from the other. People talk about a warmer or earlier spring and they are all the same to me. My garden has always done well. I feel that our weather is pretty constant.

The only thing I've noticed is that my chives have much bigger and thicker stems. There is also an oak leaf hydrangea that has done much better than before.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chives are like that too this year and they bloomed for the first time. I need to divide them before fall again, as they are HUGE this year.

My strawberries are big and pretty this year but don't seem to be producing many berries...at least not as many as last year. Everything else is growing very well.

Latest posts