Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my Rogue hoe yesterday. It is everything that has been said about it. Makes weeding a lot easier. Worth the money.

Another Rogue fan! :woot I'll tell ya, I'll never go back to a chop hoe...this thing is simply amazing and fun to use. I've got that Bermuda on the run at my son's house, but good!

View attachment 20407 I've never had Black Krims this big before. So maybe those chips are working. Picked it a little green because something ate part of an early girl.

I was getting a little depressed at the beginning of the season, thinking these chips would never pay off, especially after last year's disaster of a garden, but I too sense a change in what is growing this year...seems like a much more balanced soil going on here, even with my chips as thin as they are things are growing quite well. Even better at Joel's little BTE...his stuff looks GREAT.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, maybe you need to look for a good deal on a wood chipper. Then you could make your own chips, you have plenty of tree branches around you.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, maybe you need to look for a good deal on a wood chipper. Then you could make your own chips, you have plenty of tree branches around you.

My brother has a chipper that he never uses, but I doubt he'd let us use it. Too, too costly and you have to get the high dollar ones or you are feeding the cheaper ones small branches only....and that would take forever to get any depth on the garden.

Sure would be nice to have one of those big, nice ones though....but not likely to happen.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever asked if you could use His chipper? I would, you have nothing to lose. Perhaps you could offer to store it for him in exchange for using it.

I found a gal that dropped off 5 (5 gal) buckets of horse manure and I gave her a dozen eggs and zucchini. She said she can always drop more. This is so convenient for me and she lives close to me. So happy I have a source. Now if I only could find chips.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever asked if you could use His chipper? I would, you have nothing to lose. Perhaps you could offer to store it for him in exchange for using it.

I found a gal that dropped off 5 (5 gal) buckets of horse manure and I gave her a dozen eggs and zucchini. She said she can always drop more. This is so convenient for me and she lives close to me. So happy I have a source. Now if I only could find chips.

Mary

What a nice trade! Poo for produce!

I'd ask him if we had live trees down or had brush to clear where I could generate chipping materials, but I'd really be hard pressed to come up with material here for chipping unless we had those two factors going on.

I doubt he'd let us keep it out here, though, as he's one of those people who have a lot of nice equipment sitting out in the weeds because "someday I'm going to use that for this or that" but those days never come around.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could always pitch and help the state keep the right of ways clear or clean fence rows. What a shame your brother is a "collector" and not interested in seeing it used for what it is intended.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get me one of those Rogue hoes. Amazon had them listed at nearly $70. The Rogue website has them for $38. Pretty big discrepancy. That was looking at the 60S, 6" wide. What model do you all have and what did you pay for yours? And which is better 60" or 54" handle? I'm 5' 6". I'm just going to use mine in the garden. Saw pics of one guy clearing poison ivy and other brushy under-story plants with an 8" wide. Pretty impressive!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I'm going to get me one of those Rogue hoes. Amazon had them listed at nearly $70. The Rogue website has them for $38. Pretty big discrepancy. That was looking at the 60S, 6" wide. What model do you all have and what did you pay for yours? And which is better 60" or 54" handle? I'm 5' 6". I'm just going to use mine in the garden. Saw pics of one guy clearing poison ivy and other brushy under-story plants with an 8" wide. Pretty impressive!

Mine was bought from the website and I got the 60S. I'm still a pleased as punch with it...makes hoeing a quick and enjoyable little task. There's a learning curve with those sharp blades while working close to your plants, so be aware.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

I ordered from the site too. I got the smaller blade (3"?) I don't have the info open and I don't remember. I think the wider blade will be better for most of what I do, but the small one was good for around the blueberries to get those weeds close in. I'm going to order the wider 6" . I can use it at work in most of the beds.

Latest posts