Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I remember right by rings you mean a circular wire enclosure that you put around your trees right?

Mary

Yes, those....

101_0760.JPG
101_0501.JPG
101_0507.JPG
101_0759.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, one of the principles of BTE is that soil should never be exposed. Nature always has it covered up. Well Paul just uses compost on his veggie garden and I've been thinking of doing that. I feel it would be easier to add horse manure and compost yearly instead of layering it up. I would still like chips around my fruit trees. But I feel that covering it with compost is like leaving the soil bare since the compost is almost like soil. What do you think?

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, one of the principles of BTE is that soil should never be exposed. Nature always has it covered up. Well Paul just uses compost on his veggie garden and I've been thinking of doing that. I feel it would be easier to add horse manure and compost yearly instead of layering it up. I would still like chips around my fruit trees. But I feel that covering it with compost is like leaving the soil bare since the compost is almost like soil. What do you think?

Mary

I think the same thing...if a weed seed won't grow in that compost, how can veggies grow in it? I'm thinking weeds would grow like crazy in just chicken compost for covering. That's the trouble I had....composted chips within the chips not composted left areas for weed seeds to take root.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with weeds. In fact, I have no weeds which makes my garden look unnatural! :p My problem is that it takes 3 years fro my chips to decompose. I don't like to add stuff on top since it will be a couple years before it makes it to the soil level. If I don't add chips I figure I can be adding compost and horse manure yearly. This is turn will make my soil richer much faster than 3 years.

Mary

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish I had Mary's problem. I'm sure I will still have bermuda grass growing when Christmas gets here.

Here are the results from my yard sweeper. It sure is going to make gathering leaves/straw much easier.

IMG_5430.JPG

Hoping to start putting up some beds over the weekend. Got a load of cinder blocks in this morning. Can't wait to get started right after Thanksgiving.

IMG_5440.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, those are going to be some heavy duty beds! You won't have to worry about those rotting out from under you.

I love those lawn sweepers and would love to have one. My brother said we could have his old one but it was nonfunctional by the time we got it. Sure would come in handy, though.

From what I read of Ruth Stout she didn't just use hay but also lawn rakings like you have there, Henless....sort of sounds like the DL I have in the chicken's coop. A little of this, a little of that, built deep and maintained deep enough for good composting.