Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This has nothing whatsoever to do with the garden, but does with our soon to be established rotational grazing with sheep....got a new, more reliable livestock guardian to take over for the dogs that aren't up to snuff.

Willow...our new, sweet donkey. She was calm when she arrived, let us pet her and brush her all over and just explored the paddock and the strange things in it. They are scared to death of her but they'll get over it. She seems to want to join them but they keep running away. She's definitely the boss of the food....May soon found that out. She's very gentle, calm and quiet. The dogs think she's a definite threat, so I've been giving Blue a zap every time he barks at her.

GOPR0302 (2).JPG (2.28MiB)

GOPR0301 (2).JPG (2.88MiB)

GOPR0300.JPG (5.56MiB)

GOPR0299 (2).JPG (1012.12KiB)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is one animal I would have liked to own but they would be totally worthless-just a hay burner.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
got a new, more reliable livestock guardian to take over for the dogs that aren't up to snuff.

What critters have been getting by the dogs where you think this might help? I don't recall you mentioning a problem.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi Beekissed, long time no see! :frow

I've seen the film awhile back and I like the idea, as it is basically what I do with my perennial flowers anyway. I did have some gigantic rhubarb out in that flowerbed this year and have thought of tucking a few herbs and edibles in there as well.

Is your soil in the eastern mountains dense red clay too?
Well we hope our soil is that healthy too, I bet there will be a lot of healthy plants that will grow with such healthy soil.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is one animal I would have liked to own but they would be totally worthless-just a hay burner.

This one will be earning her keep in keeping the 'yotes and bears off the sheep as they rotate through our pastures. I wouldn't have an animal that was just for ornamentation. If she doesn't do the job, she's outta here. With her, she can eat the same feed at the sheep, lives longer than dogs, and doesn't require the training that dogs do.

Donkeys don't eat as much as horses, can thrive better on our brush and briers...that's their native feed...and they don't even drink as much as horses. They are hardier all the way around and they actually perform a valuable function on the place....in a pinch we can also train her to pull, plow or give us a ride if needed. But, mostly she's here as a guardian animal.

If this intensive grazing method works as they say, by year three we won't even be buying much hay at all as we'll have stockpiled winter grazing.

Latest posts