Baking~ Are you```

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:drool yep, that bread looks down right mouth watering, I don't think we have ramps around here, at least I haven't heard of anyone collecting them.

Annette

They are a little hard to find, usually in moist, deciduous woodlands and along stream banks. You would see them sold roadside in the spring if they are common to your area. I know they have them in Europe, so maybe?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE="valley ranch, post: 305070, member: 5529"
What's a ramp```[/QUOTE]

What Are Ramps, Anyway? And Why Do Food Lovers Freak Out Over Them?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/24/what-are-ramps_n_7128438.html

"Here’s the short answer: ramps are a wild onion that grow during the spring in Eastern Canada and the U.S. They’re sometimes referred to as wild leeks, and taste like a balanced mixture of garlic and onion. They’re pungent, to say the very least."

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in the mountains they are considered a spring tonic. Parasites do not do well with the organosulfur to be found in alliums and will become paralyzed and detach in a reaction to them, enabling them to be flushed out of the intestines.

Hence the age old defense against vampires of a necklace of garlic. They would have been better off to have ingested the garlic,huh?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure they ate the garlic~I really like it```Tell me about the spring tonic```

There in the mountains~ you say~ here in the mountains is 6800' how up are you guys```

Just re read your post~the ramps are the spring tonic```

We're only 4,863, but mountains nonetheless. The only state that lies fully within the Appalachian mountain range.

Nothing much to the tonic, ramps were just eaten in every way possible while in season. I once lived where they had to shut the schools down for a week due to the smells and that same year they didn't shut down the schools when the snows were as deep as our house...we had to dig a hole to slide down into and climb out of our home.

Another spring "tonic" was the eating of raw rhubarb...called nature's scrub brush hereabouts. The toxins in the leaf cannot be consumed but they are still at low levels in the stalk and that too is toxic to the intestinal parasites. LOVE raw rhubarb with salt on it...it's the only way I eat it.

Latest posts