Baking, tomorrow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What will you be baking this week?

On @sumi 's zucchini thread a month ago, I said I'd better be bringing that pumpkin up and using it.

Two months since I carried it down there. The pumpkin from the basement shelf was just fine!

I'm pleased with how well pumpkins grow in my garden, how I've learned to do one or two things with them, and their storage life
icon_smile.gif
. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with many ways to use them. This one has been waiting down there for me for 2 months ... meanwhile, I've nearly used all of my winter squash.

1220141423_zpsaf324e1_edit_1419132375661_zpselvwydni.jpg

cell phone photo

It was baked and I now have enuf pulp for 12 loaves of pumpkin bread ..! I brought the food processor out but DW claims it's too late to start. Tomorrow! There won't be 12 loaves of Half Moon Bay pumpkin bread but that is the very best use for them, there will be several loaves, and the remaining pumpkin can be frozen for bread after the oo's and ah's over what we have this week.

The pumpkins only made it to the first few days of December, last year. A freezing garage isn't the best place for them and they would not have fared better this time around. It would surprise me if pumpkins store as well as winter squash but ... maybe!

Steve :)
who is in danger of being misled because it was a very good year for the proper maturing of pumpkins and squash ...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I failed to grow Red Kuri squash as planned last summer (so many failures, so little time!) so I bought one, to see if I liked it, and since I have chickened out of baking it and eating it like a regular squash eater would, I'm going to make it into a pie!

On the baking front I'm also making the usual Christmas cinnamon rolls.
I baked my 2 hour whole wheat bread tonight so the house smells great!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got a pile of pumpkins/assorted squash lurking in my basement too. :hide

I'm going to use up another one for a couple of pies for Christmas. I'm going to take one to my grandpa. I think he'll love it.

I'd like to hear more about your Half Moon Bay pumpkin bread, Steve. With such an interesting name, it must be good! Care to share your recipe?

We did a bunch of gingerbread cookies this weekend, the girls and I. And they made pizzelles with their nana. I'm doing several kinds of cake balls, candies, and some Lebkuchen (German spice cookies) on Monday. I have never made the Lebkuchen before, but I so clearly remember having some that my grandmother brought back from Germany one Christmas as a child and I swear I can still taste that cookie in my mind. I hope the recipe I found will live up to my expectations!

@thistlebloom , we started a cinnamon roll tradition a couple years ago too. I like to have them Christmas morning for breakfast. :) Those I'll make up the night before.

I also have to bake a big, round loaf of crusty bread to use as a bread bowl for my spinach artichoke dip I'll be taking up to my sister's on Christmas eve.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! It's apricot season in the southern hemisphere!!!

Two hour bread, @thistlebloom ? We make Mom's refrigerator roll recipe. The dough sits in the fridge overnight and is brought out to sit somewhere warm for about 6 hours before baking.

The Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Bread? Here is the same recipe I've used for several years (LINK).

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I won't be making pumpkin bread but I will be making chocolate chip cookies on Christmas day. Since we won't be able to celebrate Chirstmas until evening, I have all day to bake!

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
that looks good! i've been trying to find cookie recipes that don't contain dairy other than eggs. my BIL is lactose intolerant and just found out this past year. i may make some of that bread and put it in his cookie (maybe now cooking) tin for his gift.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the cream cheese on a slice of hot pumpkin bread ... :).

Two cups of pumpkin won't put much of a dent in @journey11 's pumpkin pile but I've posted a video on that other thread she can use to distract her kids while she carts some outdoors for the critters ;).

Mary, you can drive to Half Moon Bay sometime to give it a try.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the cream cheese on a slice of hot pumpkin bread ... :).

Two cups of pumpkin won't put much of a dent in @journey11 's pumpkin pile but I've posted a video on that other thread she can use to distract her kids while she carts some outdoors for the critters ;).

Mary, you can drive to Half Moon Bay sometime to give it a try.

Steve
Give what a try? Picking up pumpkins? Or do they sell your pumpkin bread there? ;)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I moved from northern Cal in the sixties ...

No promises but I think you can buy a loaf of pumpkin bread on Half Moon Bay.

:) Steve

Latest posts