bamboo as a fence?

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i've read that bamboo is considered a tree - so i thought i'd put this here. has anyone used bamboo as a fence? we want to put something along our tree line b/c the trees are thin and our dogs bark their heads off at everything. we also want to put some around their dog lot for extra shade since they won't go under the man-made shade we did for them. i've heard it grows super fast and a woman one county over has a TON of it that she said we could have some of at time to plant.. we're in the piedmont of nc.. any tips?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we have a bamboo fence between our neighbors and ourselves ..and it is wonderful the rustle it makes in the wind..it is a perfect sound barrier and the size of it is up to you!

just make sure you trench it and contain it! I dont have trouble with the clumping bamboo I have but the golden bamboo with the runners chases you around the yard if you are not careful!

I may have a pic in my flicker sight we even put a gate up to it

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone has a 'ton' of it to give away, it ain't a clump-forming species, it's one of the invasive impenetrable-stand-forming take-over-your-county types. I would suggest you DO NOT DO IT!!!!

Even if you think you have the space and can live with it expanding into a 30'++ deep swath along the side of a large property, the problem is that you will never, ever, by any means, get rid of it, and it will continue expanding and eating up area and spreading. The invasive bamboos are a serious enough problem in many places already, no need to add to the problem.

Sorry, but, it's the truth.

You can pony up (what will be a fair amount) for clump forming types; or just build a regular ol' fence, which would be simpler in the long run and give more rapid and more predictable results.

Good luck,

Pat

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL there you have it both sides of the coin..you see I learned this year the best things about growing bamboo far out number the problems controling it ..at least for me

Pros
I control my bamboo with the trick I learned this year! you can eat the shoots!!!! all bamboo is edible ..I don't know why I did not equate this sooner because I go to Asian markets and actually BUY fresh bamboo shoots ..DUH!!! so this year I started pulling them as soon as they shot up ..I just go down each day to the madly running golden bamboo and pull the new shoots... it is food!

I always have and never have to buy.. the fixings for trellis's, bean poles, dahlia stakes ..I am going to use some as crown molding....you can strip it while it is growing and groom your poles they turn a wonderful golden color and we have made picture frames and trim out of them
I can cut the poles when they are flexible and weave a trellis or a plant frame..(and please know I have no talent and mine look very rustic ..but a talented person could have a blast with this)

it "sounds" wonderful ..not only does it keep sounds you do not want to hear out ..it is a fantastic barrier to noise..it makes a romantic almost musical rustle that only comes from bamboo!

it provides a great habitat for birds of all kinds ..they just adore it!!! and for me ..a winter shelter for hummingbirds!!! I never had Anna's hummingbirds in my yard until I moved here and had a bamboo fence ..now I have a little boy who lives here all winter ..he sips the water on the bamboo that my husband found is loaded with mini bugs he seems to thrive on ..then in the spring his sweetie moves in and they have a family there!

dried bamboo leaves make a great mulch they really do work perfectly for keeping weeds down so I not only leave them on the ground under the bamboo but spread them under other plants when I have plenty

Cons
running bamboo ..RUNS!!! and you have to consider and protect your neighbors from it!!! that is a must! my neighbors planted the golden bamboo fence I just took advantage and shaped my side the way I wanted to!

it is a lot of work but then everything in the garden is work you just have to keep on top of the shoots and eating/utilizing them solves that problem!
clumping types do run as well

rats love bamboo :p and I hate rats!!!! so keep it away from the house if you have rats in your area...I only have the odd roof rat ..but I live in woods so it is too be expected ... that is enough for me to keep very dilligent in thinning out the bottom of my bamboo so there are NO hiding areas and that seems to do it because I have never seen a rat ...

Tips
you can make a nice progressive fence buy planting clumps of a clumping bamboo in tall black nursery pots that have the bottoms cut out 2 feet is deep enough I have found works just great just add them as you go along your line one pot at a time!

never buy it! even the exotics people can give you pieces and you can start your own

post on craigslist saying you want some and are willing to dig your own and then you can see how it is growing in your area as well as score free bamboo!

I dream of growing a spot of the giant bamboo I have the perfect area but have to really get a deep trench in so I do not get tossed out of this neighborhood!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight: You should be given"Bamboo lover" for under your name!

Every time I search Bamboo there you are! :lol:

I just started using it as a fence. In old paint buckets to contain it.
The Gent I got it from has a huge problem with it! But he is not a Gardner it just came with his house :(

I hope the buckets do the trick, but if not I am out there everyday.
Thanks for all the info you have posted.

Now out to do rain dance. Sea breeze has held off rain for weeks now.

:cool: injunjoe

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is funny :) glad I did not use my real name ;)

I do adore bamboo I think it is so useful and easy to grow you just have to be smart and keep on top of it ..but what in gardening does not require that effort!

this week I am going to prune mine to help the canes mature and turn golden I keep the biggest canes and prun all the branches clean now then when I go to harvest it for some kind of use it is beautiful to look at

too bad I have no talent for crafting a lovely trellis ..omg mine are so crappy looking! but the canes are beautiful!

here is wishing you rain!
want mine?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes to your rain! Slow and steady for a few days would be great!
Topped them at 5' and are busting a move at each leaf segment with a nice shoot. Sure is some mad fast growing grass!
:cool: injunjoe

Latest posts