Baptisia and Jacob's Ladder Seeds to Share

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When is the best time to plant these? Winters here are usually mild, can get in the 20's and even snow once in awhile. Do I just sow them in selected spot in the fall? Like now? Or wait until spring?
I have had good luck winter sowing in containers (milk jug/soda bottle) outside. I like this method because you don't have worry about them drying out or getting nipped by a late hard freeze. In your area I think you would wait until the coldest weather (I put them out in January).

You can also start them inside in late winter. Baptisia seed germination rate is higher when scarified and soaked for 24 hours before planting. Baptisia and Jacob's Ladder seed may do best stored in the freezer. (more info in the link below)

Any of the flower seed I sent you should also start okay directly in the garden. I'm just not real sure when the best time would be... maybe just as soon as the heat is done and the soil is cool. ?

*The Jacob's Ladder will probably do better for you in filtered shade or at least afternoon shade.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would the Jacob's Ladder grow under a large cedar tree where it would get either morning or afternoon sun? I don't know how much sun it gets, only been there one time, but it looked like a good place to put a light sun/shade garden.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have Jacob's Ladder doing well under some oaks, dappled sun almost all day, maybe just 2-3 hours of full sun.
The best blooming ones are in a moist garden, about 4 hours of sun before the trees shade them. They will tolerate a lot of shade, still bloom well, just will not thrive in very dry soil. My friend down south has them in her shade bed with hostas.

Do cedar trees also have a deeper root system like oaks? ... a bit less challenging to garden under, unlike maples.
Can't wait for you to get to plant a shade garden!:woot

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
When is the best time to plant these? Winters here are usually mild, can get in the 20's and even snow once in awhile. Do I just sow them in selected spot in the fall? Like now? Or wait until spring?
No, you can't plant them now. You have to wait until after Tuesday, duh.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for finding this for me. Can finally start planting a few things. I will get these in the ground soon!

gardendelight

Sprout
Reaction score
I have a bunch of Baptisia australis pods ready. If you would like some seed, message me your mailing info and I will get some off to you as soon as I can get them picked and packed.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/flowers/hgic1184.html ... (my linker thingy isn't working)

View attachment 4262

View attachment 4261

Also some Jacob's Ladder (polemonium) seed I harvested this year.

I've had great luck with winter sowing both of these.
hi i dont see where to pm you sorry iam new at this stuff by trying

Latest posts