Bar-B-Que Men versus Women

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, not a contest, but they way men bar-B-que versus the way women bar-B-que. Men like to fire up the pit, drink beer, socialize and make an event of it. The bar-B-que IS the event. Eating the bar-B-qued meat is secondary to the main event. Then there is the long list of "secret" marinades, sauces and what charcoal or kind of wood to use. Soak the wood chips overnight or leave them dry. The selection of the meat is a whole 'nother book with multiple chapters. Pork. Beef. Chicken. Sausage. Hamburger. Wild meat; deer, elk, buffalo, duck, bear, moose and so on. The pit is tantamount to success. There are entire businesses who devote themselves to nothing but building bar-B-que pits for the masters of outdoor cooked meat. There are the gas grills for those who want the experience of outdoor cooking without having to regress to cave man skills and build a fire. Then there are the purists who believe gas grills are for sissies. There is even a pit the is gas on one side and wood on the other for the sissy cave man. :lol: Each man prides himself on his culinary smokey skills. Most men, not all, make an enormous mess, dirty up every single pan, bowl, platter, plate, tray, and utensil they can lay hands on. And while their buddies are slapping them on the back in culinary congratulations and have another beer, their wife is cleaning up the mess. :barnie

Now enter the woman bar-B-cuer. Fire up the pit. And I mean fire up the pit. This is hot, smokey-my-eyes-burn-my-hair-smells, WORK! While I'm out here, might as well cook up enough to put in the freezer for the next month's worth of meals. Socialize? How 'bout just get out of my way? "Secret" marinade? "Secret" sauce? Don't they sell that stuff at the grocery store? Charcoal or wood chips? I dunno, what's on sale? Dry or soaked over night? Are you kidding? What meat to cook? Hmmmm......chicken leg quarters are on sale, limit 2 packages with $10 purchase. And if you buy a pork shoulder roast, you get a bag of chips free! Gas or wood? Whatever kind of pit we have, then that's what I'll use. Git 'er done! It might be hard to believe, but using every dish, pot, pan and utensil in the entire kitchen is not necessary. :gig

Does any of this sound familiar? :thumbsup

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hum...guess i am going to have to plead the fifth and further questions will have to be directed to my lawyers....... kingsford and kingsford
but i will say this while cooking i do clean up my mess as i go.....

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Baymule ... you forgot sheep and goat to the list. I have been known to dig a pit and BBQ a whole sheep, goat or pig for international eggheads ( research scientists from Germany, France, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Japan, Taiwan, so what meats, condements, sauces, and refreshments vary greatly ), weddings/ birthdays/ funeral receptions for hungry gangs of 50 +/- at my ranch. I have also BBQ'd enough hamburgers/hotdogs and steaks at my kids' school open house to feed over 200 people. Not to mention the very private BBQ for my wife and myself on a lazy summer evening. So , yes the type of secret sauce, fire/ smoke type are critical for proper cooking temperatures ( one does not whant anyone to become ill) and time to cook for expected taste results of the selected meat. Liquid refreshments as well as appetizers are improtant ( one just can't expect a group to just stand around and wait several minutes for hot dogs / hamburger and up to 10 hrs for the whole carcass meat to cook) for each type / amount of meat to be cooked as well as what the occasion is. :drool

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
But Bay,

BBQ means PARTY! And don't even try to tell me Texas women stand around politely conversing and cleaning up tidy, all day when they BBQ. Don't forget where I'm from ;) I know better.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
BBQ at my house means I do double duty--prepare the side dishes, set the table, fire up the grill, throw the meat on, run back in to stir what ever is cooking inside, run back out to put out the grease fire, run back in to put the salad together, run back out to turn the meat, run back in to finish up what ever is still cooking. About this time, DH will get up from his computer chair and say "Is there anything you want me to do?" I hold my tongue, and run back outside to grab the meat.
I have eaten BBQ when he cooks it. Cooked to death, squashed flat and juiceless.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
BBQ at my house means I do double duty--prepare the side dishes, set the table, fire up the grill, throw the meat on, run back in to stir what ever is cooking inside, run back out to put out the grease fire, run back in to put the salad together, run back out to turn the meat, run back in to finish up what ever is still cooking. About this time, DH will get up from his computer chair and say "Is there anything you want me to do?" I hold my tongue, and run back outside to grab the meat.
I have eaten BBQ when he cooks it. Cooked to death, squashed flat and juiceless.
Ha ha! Now that sounds familiar!:D

But I must give my sweet husband credit, every year he is getting more helpful. :hugs

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OMG, so lucky! That is TOTALLY my husband! He probably would be a much better cook inside or outside if he'd just PAY ATTENTION. He ALWAYS burns stuff because he will put something on, and then go sit at his computer and promptly lose track of time. The only thing he doesn't mess up is poached eggs because he actually sets a timer. Don't know why he doesn't do that for anything else, tho! :lol:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Real men breed their own livestock , fruit, and vegetables and/or hunt wildlife , grow them, butcher/ harvest and then CAN cook the meat , etc. , as well as conjure up beverages such as ...brew beer, make wine, and distill whiskey ! :celebrate

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, I have done all of that, Bob! But, I'm not going to defend men cooking or not-cooking. Just make a few observations. Men should and can stand on their own 2 feet ;).

Experience usually means better skills. If there's always a plan and it always involves the DW cooking and nobody is suffering . . . might not be much motivation for Honey to hone any skills.

I'm not saying to cut him off with bare shelves but asking for suggestions or waiting for him to do some shopping might pique some interest in food. And remember, low blood-sugar shopping can get outta hand so don't let him wander off half-starved.

Teamwork! If he has an idea, try to keep it in mind so that it doesn't just drop thru the cracks between the kitchen floor boards. And, tastes aren't all the same - of course. He might think Slumgullion is wonderful! You may have to put up with a lot if he does get free rein at the stove.

Experience fueled with alcohol may not count for much. I have had all sorts of people tell me that with enuf wine or whatever, their guests are always happy with the food. I don't quite know how to take that when I have been one of the guests - probably, just hurried to get another drink :rolleyes:. A tipsy cook might be able to sling a steak on a plate but don't be surprised if the performance leaves something to be desired and what's left at the scene requires major cleanup.

Just some observations and now I'll slink back to my wobbly TV tray at the far end of the house.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If my DH cooks on the grill it is a BIG DEAL. And a BIG MESS. And CONFUSION reigns. The "get me that pan" and " #$%#$%@$ I burnt my $%%& self" and "WHERE is (fill in the blank). :smack He hovers over the pit sweating profusely, swatting %&$^$#% flies, and tenderly nursing "the best steaks you ever ate" that taste just like any restaurant steaks you care to choose. The rumor is.........it is legal in Texas to kill your husband.......but you gotta bury him real deep and not tell nobody. :hide

I bar-b-cued Memorial Day. DH was sidelined with crud, fever and deep chest heaving cough. When I cook, I get down to business. I smoked a pork shoulder pocketed with garlic cloves, a pork lion with 1/2 jar of orange marmalade, red pepper and teriyaki smeared on it. Also 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters, 10 pounds of hamburger patties, 6 pounds of Eckrich sausage, 4 pounds of boudain. I packaged the meat up in meal sized portions and sealed them with my Food Saver. Tossed in freezer. Done.

My pit is the inside tank of a hot water heater, built by a welder and left at a rent house that I was asked to have cleaned up for a friend. I got the place cleaned up with the stipulation that I got the pit. :gig It holds a lot of meat and does a fine job of smoking or grilling. Best of all, it was free.

If anybody here ever tells my DH what I said about his steaks, you go on my dig-a-deep-hole list. :lol:

Latest posts