Bar-B-Que Men versus Women

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
When I saw this I thought "......and then the fight started"

Seriously though my wife does defer to me when working the grill. I tend to do most of the outside cooking and she does the inside cooking. I do a lot of the prep. Charcoal all day long unless its something simple and not worthy of charcoal like the Johnsonville brats or something then its gas. I have both a gas and a charcoal grill and I use both of them for that reason.

Ive been known to cook steaks over charcoal and do grilled veggies on the gas one to give me more space. Each has its pluses and minuses. When I met my wife she told me she hated charcoal because it always tastes like lighter fluid. Well I brought over my charcoal grill and proved that I didn't need to put ANY lighter fluid on the coals and from then on insisted I do the grilling.

I have yet to learn how to clean up as I go, that must be something they teach you in culinary school. The only time I can clean as I go is when I'm canning but that's because I run out of room or I need that dirty pot since we only have so many big pots. I do clean up my messes though.

I have to say that some of my best meals are over wood fire though both ones I've cooked and meals I've had the pleasure of eating. Something about that cooking method just makes it so much richer.

Beer's a good basting liquid too. We'll put it in the warming pan (which is a small ancient dutch oven) when we cook outside. A good splash of beer to keep the meat from drying out or sticking to the bottom of the warming pan makes all the difference.

I try to do things I can't get elsewhere. Be it a marinate, or flavor or a combination etc. We do a lot of venison, but its not uncommon to do tuna steaks, rabbit, salmon, turkey, lamb to name a few.

My cousin makes his own beer and does and he's pretty darn good at it so we leave that up to him.

I have a very close associate who may or may not be related that makes their own whiskey. I'm talking full still. Copper pipe, thumper, the whole 9 yards. Makes some REALLY good stuff. They are pretty well known for making blueberry shine that's really good. Technically I believe its a brandy since they use blueberries for the mash instead of corn. They also makes a honey shine that's even better in my opinion. Regular corn mash to make whiskey and cuts the finished product with a warmed honey (so its thinner and easier to measure off in place of water and its crazy good. Not too sweet, but still has all the honey flavor.

I honestly want to make wine. I prefer it to beer if I have a choice. I like beer don't get me wrong but I like wine better. Red, white, blush I'm good. Its something I've been kicking around for a while and once things calm down I might make a run at it. It would be a fun project.

I really want a smoker too....its on the list.

Good for you Monty. That's what being Dad's all about.
a little tickle juice is good now and then