Bar-B-Que Men versus Women

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was just thinking that I overstated things when I said that I'd made whiskey . . .

Yeah, what I made I called "brandy" because it was made from homemade wine. I just remembered that it was the only time I used actual grapes to make a wine and that didn't come out good, either! The brandy? Weird . . . even as something you might rub on yourself. I didn't know how to measure proof so just turned off my homemade still when I could no longer get a drop to catch fire :p.

Yeah, you think you DH creates a scene of confusion at an outdoor grill - you might have wondered about my fate with a hot plate on the counter and copper tubing running thru the kitchen sink from a pressure cooker "still" :rolleyes:.

I did live thru my 20's but not without a few scars.

digitS', all 10 plus 10 more under the wool socks

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Competition barbecuing and stuff. I'll just watch and be the taste tester. It takes a big helping to taste it right. Better have seconds so I can decide between this and that.

Meantime, I do find that the women are far prettier when barbecuing, so they win that part automatically.

Alright, let the competition begin! I'll just be the taste tester. (!) Durn, no napkin! I'll use my shirt, no prob...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digit ... when one BBQs a whole lamb, goat or pig on an open pit for 8-10 hours, well that critter needs to be basted. So I slowly pour a can of beer over the carcass, then slowly drink a can, then slowly pour another can of beer over the carcass and giving the carcass a 1/4 turn with every basteing. makes for a perfect timer. the meat has a nice crust that holds in the juices and the meat is fully cooked and very juicy and tender and OOOOHHH so GOOOOOOOD. :drool Even my father in law, who says that he can taste wool when he eats lamb ( he almost always refuses to eat lamb) , comes back for seconds and thirds. Home brews makes for a jolly party and have been known to also spawn new microbreweries. :thumbsup

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
too be real honest between the two of us we make a real mess of the kitchen when it comes down to a wonderful bbq dinner<s>. and we both try to keep up on the mess as we go.
dw hush puppies are the most flavorful and lightest you have ever eaten.

my father and brother are coming out this weekend, was thinking about bbq but decided for asian cuisine....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should quit while I'm still, more-or-less, intact! After the pickup broke down y'day and I got a ride home . . . I stubbed my toe! Yeah, the big digit on the left foot now matches the little digit on the right foot that I stubbed several days ago.

See, I can agree with Marshall: women are more attractive and less clumsy when they are doing most anything. It probably isn't reason enuf for men to dodge all the risk inherent wherever their efforts lead them.

I do okay with the cornbread . . . .

Beer was the only beverage that I made that was any good, other than squeezing an orange. It may have taken Dad to make it a success for me. I used his refusal to wash bottles any longer as the excuse to draw the curtain on the brewing. For about 10 years, we were a brew team and had 1 or 2 missteps but made some pretty good stuff! When I tried it at home after Dad retired from the scene, I messed up. The prospect of using beer for basting might revive an interest, I often use it in an Asian stir-fry. Never, however, have I cooked a whole critter bigger than a turkey . . . other than over several weeks time.

Lamb? As a youngster, I worked for a state vet for a few days one year - got outta school and traveled from 1 end of Oregon to the other! The job was wrestling sheep for a hoof & mouth inspection. Even wearing a big apron, I was covered with lanolin by the end of every day! I'll have to say that it dampened my enthusiasm for lamb just a bit.

Steve ;)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We cook out so often, it's really no different than cooking inside as far as the mess goes. I've been doing it so long it's like second nature. I think the people that scramble and struggle, just don't do it enough to be comfortable or very good at it. I have 5 grills and 2 smokers and have actually had all of them going at the same time for large parties. Each grill/smoker has it's own special qualities that make it better at cooking certain things. Could I smoke on my Webber kettle? Sure, but why would I when I have the drum smoker. I could also grill bacon wrapped scallops on the big offset, but I would rather use the Smokey Joe. Chicken pieces for dinner go on the kettle, fish on the hibachi, rotisserie chicken on the big Royal Oak grill (it's the only grill that is set up for it). Ribs and pork butt always go in the drum, stuffed jalapenos and smaller things go into the square smoker.

I do take a lot of pride in what I serve. It must be pretty good because parties always draw a large crowd and there is never anything left. I have a b-day party this coming weekend. My little JB turns 13!! Thirteen??? Isn't she in second grade?? Just wrapping up seventh grade??? Where did those years go?

Anyway, she was allowed to chose the menu for her party, anything she wanted. She gave me the menu last week...pulled pork and home made French vanilla/chocolate chip ice cream. Early estimates are 40-50 people so far which means it will be more like 60-70. I'll do most of the prep on Friday, get up at 3:00am on Saturday and get the butts going in the drum, then get the ice cream churning. If all goes well, everything should be done by the 2:00pm party time.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I should quit while I'm still, more-or-less, intact! After the pickup broke down y'day and I got a ride home . . . I stubbed my toe! Yeah, the big digit on the left foot now matches the little digit on the right foot that I stubbed several days ago.

See, I can agree with Marshall: women are more attractive and less clumsy when they are doing most anything. It probably isn't reason enuf for men to dodge all the risk inherent wherever their efforts lead them.

I do okay with the cornbread . . . .

Beer was the only beverage that I made that was any good, other than squeezing an orange. It may have taken Dad to make it a success for me. I used his refusal to wash bottles any longer as the excuse to draw the curtain on the brewing. For about 10 years, we were a brew team and had 1 or 2 missteps but made some pretty good stuff! When I tried it at home after Dad retired from the scene, I messed up. The prospect of using beer for basting might revive an interest, I often use it in an Asian stir-fry. Never, however, have I cooked a whole critter bigger than a turkey . . . other than over several weeks time.

Lamb? As a youngster, I worked for a state vet for a few days one year - got outta school and traveled from 1 end of Oregon to the other! The job was wrestling sheep for a hoof & mouth inspection. Even wearing a big apron, I was covered with lanolin by the end of every day! I'll have to say that it dampened my enthusiasm for lamb just a bit.

Steve ;)
Talking about not having a taste for lamb, my dad used to tell a story about being in the chow line during WWII, over in Europe. He said they served a lot of lamb; the men got really tired of it. As a result, some guy up near the front of the line would turn around and make a loud "Baaaaa!" noise. About half the line would just leave, not even wanting to stand in line for more lamb. Lots of time it would be beef or some other better liked meat, but the guys would not be there to eat it.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When I saw this I thought "......and then the fight started"

Seriously though my wife does defer to me when working the grill. I tend to do most of the outside cooking and she does the inside cooking. I do a lot of the prep. Charcoal all day long unless its something simple and not worthy of charcoal like the Johnsonville brats or something then its gas. I have both a gas and a charcoal grill and I use both of them for that reason.

Ive been known to cook steaks over charcoal and do grilled veggies on the gas one to give me more space. Each has its pluses and minuses. When I met my wife she told me she hated charcoal because it always tastes like lighter fluid. Well I brought over my charcoal grill and proved that I didn't need to put ANY lighter fluid on the coals and from then on insisted I do the grilling.

I have yet to learn how to clean up as I go, that must be something they teach you in culinary school. The only time I can clean as I go is when I'm canning but that's because I run out of room or I need that dirty pot since we only have so many big pots. I do clean up my messes though.

I have to say that some of my best meals are over wood fire though both ones I've cooked and meals I've had the pleasure of eating. Something about that cooking method just makes it so much richer.

Beer's a good basting liquid too. We'll put it in the warming pan (which is a small ancient dutch oven) when we cook outside. A good splash of beer to keep the meat from drying out or sticking to the bottom of the warming pan makes all the difference.

I try to do things I can't get elsewhere. Be it a marinate, or flavor or a combination etc. We do a lot of venison, but its not uncommon to do tuna steaks, rabbit, salmon, turkey, lamb to name a few.

My cousin makes his own beer and does and he's pretty darn good at it so we leave that up to him.

I have a very close associate who may or may not be related that makes their own whiskey. I'm talking full still. Copper pipe, thumper, the whole 9 yards. Makes some REALLY good stuff. They are pretty well known for making blueberry shine that's really good. Technically I believe its a brandy since they use blueberries for the mash instead of corn. They also makes a honey shine that's even better in my opinion. Regular corn mash to make whiskey and cuts the finished product with a warmed honey (so its thinner and easier to measure off in place of water and its crazy good. Not too sweet, but still has all the honey flavor.

I honestly want to make wine. I prefer it to beer if I have a choice. I like beer don't get me wrong but I like wine better. Red, white, blush I'm good. Its something I've been kicking around for a while and once things calm down I might make a run at it. It would be a fun project.

I really want a smoker too....its on the list.

Good for you Monty. That's what being Dad's all about.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
We cook out so often, it's really no different than cooking inside as far as the mess goes. I've been doing it so long it's like second nature. I think the people that scramble and struggle, just don't do it enough to be comfortable or very good at it. I have 5 grills and 2 smokers and have actually had all of them going at the same time for large parties. Each grill/smoker has it's own special qualities that make it better at cooking certain things. Could I smoke on my Webber kettle? Sure, but why would I when I have the drum smoker. I could also grill bacon wrapped scallops on the big offset, but I would rather use the Smokey Joe. Chicken pieces for dinner go on the kettle, fish on the hibachi, rotisserie chicken on the big Royal Oak grill (it's the only grill that is set up for it). Ribs and pork butt always go in the drum, stuffed jalapenos and smaller things go into the square smoker.

I do take a lot of pride in what I serve. It must be pretty good because parties always draw a large crowd and there is never anything left. I have a b-day party this coming weekend. My little JB turns 13!! Thirteen??? Isn't she in second grade?? Just wrapping up seventh grade??? Where did those years go?

Anyway, she was allowed to chose the menu for her party, anything she wanted. She gave me the menu last week...pulled pork and home made French vanilla/chocolate chip ice cream. Early estimates are 40-50 people so far which means it will be more like 60-70. I'll do most of the prep on Friday, get up at 3:00am on Saturday and get the butts going in the drum, then get the ice cream churning. If all goes well, everything should be done by the 2:00pm party time.
Monty, you are a fantastic Dad! And yes, the years go by faster and faster. Yesterday my daughter was a little girl, now her daughter is having her 6th birthday!!!

Latest posts