BARN! and NEW PORCH!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dust is a grayish color. White sugar sand mixed with horse manure, wood chip mulch, dead hay makes a fine silty layer of light gray dust.

@Carol Dee what you said makes sense. Guess I’ll paint the doors gray. It will go with the faded, rusted silver of the tin.

Today we got the cut edges of the wood latch pieces smoothed and rounded. I tried the sander borrowed from a neighbor, too slow and not enough progress for the work put into it. So I got a 2x6, set it on saw horses and put a cinder block on it. Made one for DH and together we rubbed the cut corners.

EDC56BF3-488C-4227-B433-77D4DCFB443B.jpeg

It came out pretty good. No more sharp corners. This piece has a rounded corner and a sharp corner so you can see the difference.

C9D8E364-7F58-4BF4-B8EA-E582415417FB.jpeg

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay... just for your information , you can buy a router bit for your application called bull nose bit made specifically to round corners using your router. Much faster and safer to operate. I have used the same bull nose bit for rounding corners on our kitchen island butcher block counter top, to rounding wood corners on wall corners, window corners, gates, etc., etc .

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay... just for your information , you can buy a router bit for your application called bull nose bit made specifically to round corners using your router. Much faster and safer to operate. I have used the same bull nose bit for rounding corners on our kitchen island butcher block counter top, to rounding wood corners on wall corners, window corners, gates, etc., etc .
I don’t have a router, but I have a cinder block. I just wanted the cut edge rounded off, so I used what I had.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are several different types of sanders and different grades of sand paper. For something like that I use a random orbit (circular piece of sandpaper, not rectangular) and fairly rough sandpaper, usually 60 grit. I want to remove wood, not polish it. If you want to you can come back with 120 grit to smooth it, but get it shaped first. I don't know what type of sander you were using but I'd guess the grit was too fine if it was too slow.

When I make something like that I generally taper or bevel the leading edges. Taper the top, bottom, and both sides of the front of the piece that slides. Also shape the opening it's going into so you don't have sharp edges that can get hung up. I did not watch that video, maybe they said to do this but I find this avoids the dang thing hanging up if you don't get alignment perfect. And I never get anything perfect.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went to the feed store mid week and for the FIRST time, put feed IN the Feed and Tack room!! We put 3 metal trash cans in there and filled them up. What a great feeling. Meanwhile, other things have taken center stage, yesterday I showed a friend how to butcher chickens, we did 5 roosters. It took me a LOT longer, cause he had 53 questions for everything. He kept quoting Mother Earth News like he was some kind of authority, having never actually done it. But all in all, it was a good experience. If someone wants to learn, I have no problem sharing what I know. I sent him home with a rooster, cut up and vacuum sealed. My husband was delighted to get out of rooster pickin' and took the tractor to the barn. He pushed out a summer's worth of manure and dead hay and filled in a wash out. We parked the round bales in the barn in the heat of the summer. I processed the roosters in the house, took care of sheep and chickens, cooked supper and collapsed. Haven't even gone out to the barn to admire his work.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went to the feed store mid week and for the FIRST time, put feed IN the Feed and Tack room!! We put 3 metal trash cans in there and filled them up. What a great feeling. Meanwhile, other things have taken center stage, yesterday I showed a friend how to butcher chickens, we did 5 roosters. It took me a LOT longer, cause he had 53 questions for everything. He kept quoting Mother Earth News like he was some kind of authority, having never actually done it. But all in all, it was a good experience. If someone wants to learn, I have no problem sharing what I know. I sent him home with a rooster, cut up and vacuum sealed. My husband was delighted to get out of rooster pickin' and took the tractor to the barn. He pushed out a summer's worth of manure and dead hay and filled in a wash out. We parked the round bales in the barn in the heat of the summer. I processed the roosters in the house, took care of sheep and chickens, cooked supper and collapsed. Haven't even gone out to the barn to admire his work.

a hug and a thank you is nice. :) i'm sure you can see it today. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today we painted the Feed and tack room doors. Inside and out on one, just the outside on the other. We went to Lowes yesterday and got paint. It is gray with just a touch of blue tint.

B27401BA-BDE4-4DB8-9CBD-5B4FA80A12E4.jpeg

How does it look next to the old tin?

B893E040-C270-4364-ADBD-8210CB4F4A53.jpeg

I painted one side and edges of the door latch pieces. @Collector I decided it would look bad with new wood against the painted door, so I painted them.

91B53013-2DED-46F3-ABDA-10E98EC92641.jpeg

Husband says we should paint the green corner trim so it will match the doors and old tin. I like the used-scrap-look of the green corner trim.

What do y’all think? Green or paint it? Alex where are you when I need you? :rainbowflower

CED8FFE5-B6BA-4CC1-A954-D118B3FB4377.jpeg

Latest posts