Baymule’s 2019 Garden

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I will share the one pot spaghetti recipe later, but here is the recipe for traditionally Dutch "boerenkool":
Cook the potatoes and kale in separate pans. Add some broth powder to the kale when it starts to boil. Drain the potatoes and add a lump of butter, mash the potatoes and add some yoghurt or milk to make it smoother but keep some lumps in there. Mix in the drained kale and add pepper to taste. We serve with smoked sausage and mustard.
I asked this recipe from my mother, she didn't give any measurements and she added at the end: just make kale on feeling! :lol:

I would add salt to it.
My guess is:
2 pounds potatoes
21 ounces kale
Yoghurt or milk just enough to make it smooth but still firm

The smoked sausage is usually heated in hot water, do you have something similar?
Another fun fact, kale in Dutch is called farmers cabbage. :old
Fun fact 2: when I was a kid maybe 11 or 12 our football club (soccer) had to play against a neighbouring village. Their coach said in the paper that we played farmers cabbage-football... so some of our supporters brought a few kale plants to throw on the field. :tongue:lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heck, enough Ranch dressing on it, makes anything good. How bad can kale be?

that's my problem with any kind of diet, i can eat a pint of Ranch dressing on about anything every other day... and of course, i don't wonder why i don't really lose weight doing it either. :)

Feb goal -5lbs.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thejenx , I like your mother's recipe and am curious.

Do you have Maggi seasoning sauce in Holland? It was originally a Swiss company and owned by Nestlé. ( I really don't know of any other Maggi brand products.)

I might use it in your recipe. It's like soy sauce that's useful in stir fry, marinades and such but it's made with wheat so, different.

Steve

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' Maggi is well known in Holland, I just looked it up and they started selling their products over here in 1895(!).
They got quite a big range of seasonings in the supermarket. They are most well known for their bouillon blocks.

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We make kale chips by rinsing kale, Dry it between towels, tear into pieces. Then toss with a bit of Olive oil to coat. Spread on cookie sheet. Srinkle with your choice of seasonings. Sea salt, garlic powder/salt, parmesan etc.... Dry in LOW oven (or in dehydrator) until dry and crisp. NOT browned.

You can make them spicy with a little bit of cayenne or Tony's! So yummy!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I got on my tractor and disced the garden. I haven't done that since the very first garden. We have piled on the sheep, horse and chicken manure. We have smothered with cardboard and covered with wood chips. That is now some dark rich soil. A far cry from the fine white sand that we started with. We raked it smooth.

In the coming days we will spread cardboard as far as what we have will go, then cover with wood chips. Rain is coming in several days, we want to get it done so the rain can settle everything down.

I planted tomato and eggplant seed on the 12th. I have lettuce coming up, the kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli are looking good, need to finish the garden so I can get them set out.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I got on my tractor and disced the garden. I haven't done that since the very first garden. We have piled on the sheep, horse and chicken manure. We have smothered with cardboard and covered with wood chips. That is now some dark rich soil. A far cry from the fine white sand that we started with. We raked it smooth.

In the coming days we will spread cardboard as far as what we have will go, then cover with wood chips. Rain is coming in several days, we want to get it done so the rain can settle everything down.

I planted tomato and eggplant seed on the 12th. I have lettuce coming up, the kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and broccoli are looking good, need to finish the garden so I can get them set out.

What, no pictures of you and Marigold? There's nothing more photogenic than dark rich soil you know ;).

Latest posts