Baymule’s 2020 Garden

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't grow carrots here, no matter how I try. I can grow tops all day long, but the clay prevents root development. I even tried growing them in a raised bed with loose compost and they made all tops, no bottoms. But, besides that, I don't like cooked carrots...just raw ones. :D

i really understand, except roasted carrots i absolutely adore in with a good pot roast, onions, taters and mushrooms... dang, just made myself really hungry... :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a tiny Amish melon! It’s like a cantaloupe.

C9107E10-ECD4-4131-BBA0-F6908026BFD4.jpeg

I have a couple of Diamond eggplant!

73B7707A-AF48-497C-B0AE-FB6354AE6069.jpeg

Out of 54 seeds, after I killed off most of them, set out what was left and they died off, FEAST YOUR EYES on the one lone survivor Cubanelle pepper! LOL LOL

A2E60456-D801-4F8D-A6B2-A6FA02E37412.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
some years ago i started seeing all weeds as potential worm food. ever since then instead of removing weeds and throwing them in the various weed piles i bury them in the gardens where they grow instead. i don't mind some of them having seeds on them either as they usually are getting buried deeply enough they won't easily regrow.

the weed piles get a lot less activity now and there's only a few plants that show up here that i will discard the whole plant via the trash. one has been trying to get established here but so far i have headed it off (here is a bit from the wiki for it Galium aparine ('aparine' from Greek 'apairo' [απαίρω < από «from» + αίρω «pull to lift»] – "lay hold of" or "seize")[2] with many common names including cleavers,[3] clivers, bedstraw, goosegrass,[3] catchweed,[3] stickyweed, sticky bob,[4] stickybud, stickyback, robin-run-the-hedge, sticky willy,[3][5] sticky willow, stickyjack, stickeljack, grip grass, sticky grass, bobby buttons, and velcro plant,[6] is a herbaceous annual plant of the family Rubiaceae. )

this really changed my attitude towards weeding and how i felt about it. i'm still trying to get Mom to understand this but she is still very much old school.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love your before and after pictures. That always motivates me to do the next weeding.

Well I have to tell you, most years I just let them go. They generally get over my head by August and I make a trail through them to get to the "pickin' part" of the garden. After everything is exhausted, I turn the sheep in on it and they decimate the weeds. This year I'm trying to grow all I can, so no plant and water and to heck with the weeds. I wish the garden plants grew like the weeds do!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the weeds I put on the burn pile have thick fleshy roots. There is no depth of burial that will not let those roots regenerate and regrow. Nope. Burn them!

i put those on the surface to dry out in the sun, once they are completely dry they then can be buried again. if Mom sees them she'll pick them up and put them on the weed pile but i am trying to get her to just leave them alone. all wormies need food too! :)

Latest posts